Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Kaiju Small Entertainments 
Destoroyah

El Santo wrote:
Snurt64 wrote:
Who is this one? It isn't Jet Jaguar.
http://49.media.tumblr.com/78d12be6f80e ... o1_500.gif

That's one of the Ultramen, but damned if I know which. The Godzilla suit looks like the one from Godzilla vs. Megalon, which would seem to suggest an episode of "Ultraman Taro" or "Ultraman Leo," or maybe a very late episode of "Ultraman Ace."

Perhaps some cross promotion between the 2 franchises?

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:19 pm
Burning Godzilla

Possibly. I know very little about the Ultraman franchise, but Toho and Tsuburaya Productions (which produced the TV show) were closely allied for obvious reasons. A fair many Monsters of the Week started off as suits built for Toho kaiju movies that had fallen into disrepair or had been rendered obsolete by the creation of new suits. For example, this guy apparently started life as the Godzilla suit from Godzilla vs. the Thing, while this guy was originally the Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster Godzilla.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hours of fun to be found here:

http://citystompers.com/archive

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:
Hours of fun to be found here:

http://citystompers.com/archive

Very cool. Just goes to prove that some people have way too much time on their hands.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:10 pm
Destoroyah

I've been gone too long; I wasn't here for everyone's kaiju needs!

That's Zone Fighter, from the 1973 show "Ryūsei Ningen Zone" (which apparently translates as "Meteor Human Zone"). As it was an actual Toho production, Godzilla showed up in five episodes to help the main character out. Two of those episodes also featured Godzilla opponents, namely Gigan and King Ghidorah.

You'll notice that the Godzilla suit is very obviously the '70s "Muppet" one. I've read that this show is considered canon by Toho, who place it between vs. Megalon and vs. Mechagodzilla in the timeline.

Sadly, I'm not too familiar with the show itself, having only seen a few clips on the 'net. What I've seen looks pretty fun.

-------------------------
That reminds me...I need to make a new post in this forum!

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:34 pm
Destoroyah

El Santo wrote:
Possibly. I know very little about the Ultraman franchise, but Toho and Tsuburaya Productions (which produced the TV show) were closely allied for obvious reasons. A fair many Monsters of the Week started off as suits built for Toho kaiju movies that had fallen into disrepair or had been rendered obsolete by the creation of new suits. For example, this guy apparently started life as the Godzilla suit from Godzilla vs. the Thing, while this guy was originally the Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster Godzilla.

Yeah, and then you've got about four Ultra monsters that were made from the Baragon suit. Which is why he couldn't do anything in Destroy All Monsters: the suit was so worn from use that they didn't dare have Baragon do more than sit there and roar. It was supposed to have been Baragon that popped up in France in that movie, which naturally makes a lot more sense than Gorosaurus. I've come up with my own idea for that, though; namely, Baragon was digging, with Gorosaurus following behind, and Gorosaurus decided to pop up to see where they were. "Hey, Barry! We're in France!" "Cool! All that cheese and wine gives their flesh an exquisite taste!"

Hey, Baragon ate people. I'm sure Gorosaurus would have, as well. Why else would they go there?

And now I want a show like one of Anthony Bourdain's, where Gorosaurus and Baragon go tunneling off, pop up in a random country, and start sampling the people and animals there while telling us what they think. "I love the fiery heat and exotic finishes, reminiscent of plum and coconut, of the people here in Thailand...but I don't love what happens the next morning!"

---------------------------
Dear god, someone give me a budget.

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4