Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Goji & Co. Learning Resources 
Burning Godzilla

It's a shame they don't just teach this in school along with unimportant twiddles like long division and American Lit.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Very cool....can't say I recognize all of them, though.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:23 pm
Burning Godzilla

Me neither! Paging Dr. Kaiju!!!

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

What am I, chopped liver?

Lessee here...I shouldn't have to name the first three, right? (Just in case: Godzilla, Anguirus, larval Mothra.)

Third row is Gappa the Triphibian Monster, Dodongo and Telesdon (the last two are from episodes 12 and 22 of the original "Ultraman" series, respectively).

Fourth row is Gyaos, Bullton (episode 17 of the original "Ultraman") and Gamera.

Fifth row is a little tricky. First is Guilala, aka The X from Outer Space. Second and third are Ultra monsters again, I'd wager; the second seems vaguely familiar, but the third I don't recognize at all. Fourth would be Garamon from episodes 13 and 16 of "Ultra Q." And then, of course, Godzilla again.

If Dr. Kaiju doesn't beat me to them, I'll try to figure out those last two.

--------------------
Wish me luck.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm
Destoroyah

Thanks Rev. Unfortunately I am hampered by the fact that I have had no exposure to Ultraman at all.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:56 pm
Destoroyah

My pleasure.

I've only seen the original in its entirety (luckily a lot of them were from that series). Then there were those dubbed "Ultraseven" episodes TNT ran years ago, the occasional random episode of the random Ultra-series from YouTube, and that's about it. Although the entire run of "Ultraman: Towards the Future" is on Hulu, and I am slowly but surely making my way through it and reviewing each one for future posting. I may then tackle "Ultraman Powered" as I believe it's all on YouTube, although what I've seen of that one does not thrill me towards that prospect (it makes "U: TTF" look like the original in comparison).

I would've called Garamon "Pigmon," but happily I saw my first "Ultra Q" episode last month and it was #13, so I know that's who that is (Pigmon is human-sized and not a robot).

-------------------
Still working on the other two.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 pm
Destoroyah

Oddly enough, I found the one I knew nothing about a lot sooner than the other one. However, finding it and finding information on it are two separate things. It is based on a traditional yokai named Hyakume ("100 Eyes"). As best I can figure, that particular representation comes from a tokusatsu series based on a manga called "Akuma-kun." This would seem to be borne out by the fact that some of these images, this one included, come from a 1967 book called "An Anatomical Guide to Monsters," which I really want to own.

Anyway, I'm slightly embarassed about the last one. There was a reason it struck a cord with me; it's Goldon, from episode 29 of "Ultraman." The only (lame) excuse I can come up with is that it's depicted here on its hind legs, and as far as I remember it pretty much ran around on all fours in the episode in question. Honestly, though, I did not recognize it until I stumbled on it, and only then did my mind pop up snippets of the episode. I guess it wasn't one of the more memorable ones. Bullton is so weird it's easy to remember; Telesdon is just one whose name has stuck with me; and Ultraman brutalizes Dodongo so badly I can never forget it.

So, from the top: Godzilla, Anguirus; Mothra; Gappa, Dodongo, Telesdon; Gyaos, Bullton, Gamera; Guilala, Goldon, Hyakume, Garamon, Godzilla.

----------------------
There! Kaiju-geek credentials restored!

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 pm
Burning Godzilla

Rev D.D., I hope I didn't step on your massive reptilian toes! I am not that clear lately on who is an expert in what around here, beyond Santo who is an expert in EVERYTHING and Telstar who is the Wall of Sound...

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:
Rev D.D., I hope I didn't step on your massive reptilian toes! I am not that clear lately on who is an expert in what around here, beyond Santo who is an expert in EVERYTHING and Telstar who is the Wall of Sound...

No worries! I would say more than anything, in the realm of cinema and television, I know monster movies/shows. I realize that's a very a broad category, but if I'm watching something there's an excellent chance there's a monster of some sort in it. I would consider my expertise to be in giant monsters, which are my favorite; and zombie movies, which I have seen a LOT of because I think zombies are keen.

----------------------------
So now you know!

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:29 pm
Mothra

Cliffie wrote:

Sadly, although I am a kaiju doctor with decades of extensive study, I cannot be judged an "expert" due to a combination of psychotropic medications, mild hallucinogenics, and deep-seated ennui.

These monster diagrams are fantastic, thank you for sharing!

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:28 pm
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:

I'm not an expert on much, but I match that lack with a smothering attack of smugness.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

I'm not an expert on much, but I match that lack with a smothering attack of smugness.

Always go with your strengths!

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
the Wall of Sound...

Oh, sure, name me after the Phil Spector production technique.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:06 am
Burning Godzilla

TelstarMan wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
the Wall of Sound...

Oh, sure, name me after the Phil Spector production technique.

Weren't you once called the Wall of Sound on this very site & by your own admission? I'm not accusing you of shooting Lana Clarkson!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]