Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
hairstyle search 
Burning Godzilla

You know that hairstyle that keeps showing up on American Idol contestants and the like, where the front part of one's hair is combed together to form a sort of ridge or crest along the top of one's head? It's extremely fashionable despite being extremely silly, and nowadays it shows up in the damndest places, like on top of the War Doctor.

My manager in the IT department where I work has that hairstyle. It can be a distinct impediment to taking his ideas seriously, especially when it's grown out too far and he starts looking like Philip J. Fry.

I can only guess that it's some sort of evolutionary descendant of the faux-hawk (from which it differs by having no distinct separation between longer and shorter hair), but I have no idea what it's called. If I want to refer to this supertrendy hairstyle and how stupid it is, I need to know... WHAT IS ITS NAME?

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

supersonic man wrote:
You know that hairstyle that keeps showing up on American Idol contestants and the like, where the front part of one's hair is combed together to form a sort of ridge or crest along the top of one's head? It's extremely fashionable despite being extremely silly, and nowadays it shows up in the damndest places, like on top of the War Doctor.

My manager in the IT department where I work has that hairstyle. It can be a distinct impediment to taking his ideas seriously, especially when it's grown out too far and he starts looking like Philip J. Fry.

I can only guess that it's some sort of evolutionary descendant of the faux-hawk (from which it differs by having no distinct separation between longer and shorter hair), but I have no idea what it's called. If I want to refer to this supertrendy hairstyle and how stupid it is, I need to know... WHAT IS ITS NAME?

http://www.mens-hairstyle.com/15-best-m ... -2013.html The Fantastically Kingly Hairstyle-is this the haircut in question ??

"There coming to get you Barbara"

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 pm
Burning Godzilla

The "fantastically kingly" on that list is what I would consider a faux-hawk. What I'm talking about is more similar to the David Beckham-ish "cool brushed up" at the top of the list, only with a more pronounced center peak.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

oh ok yer see what you mean with the fry reference

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:35 pm
Burning Godzilla

Back in the early 80s, we called it the spike. But I think it's the same thing as the faux-hawk. Hair in the center of the head was cut short to stand up, then normal all around. It was a precursor to the mullett, I think. Guys who did the spike did so because they were too afraid to go the full-on mohawk like we'd see on the new European punk bands - and Adrian from The Young Ones.

I don't remember it needing nearly as much mousse. Though it needed some. It was silly back then, but the new version, I agree, makes it difficult to take one seriously. And I think it requires obscene amounts of Dippitty Doo or some iteration of Dapper Dan Pomade.

Looks maybe kinda like this

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Yeah, that's the look.

But I don't think it's a precursor to the mullet (aka the Hairstyle of the Gods). That goes back further.

I guess people are still using the term faux-hawk for it... when I google that word, a lot of the images are this modern spike-ridge look, rather than anything like a classic Wendy O. Williams style, or even a Miley Cyrus.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

what hair styles are you all sporting these days then ??

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:13 pm
Burning Godzilla

I look like a melanistic hedgehog crawled up onto my head and died there, same as I have since 1989.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I found a term specific to this hairstyle: "Hoxton fin". Unfortunately it's only used in the UK.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I've got about an inch and a half of hair on top of my head, trimmed short on the back and sides and slicked back with Brylcreem. It's actually a good look for me, and much nicer for other people to look at than when I used to shave my head.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 am
Burning Godzilla

I have been shaving my head for the last dozen years or so, in an effort to just BE bald, rather than GOING bald. In fact, my cartoon avatar for the board is eerily accurate. I have started wearing a sort of handlebar-ish mustache to go along with my goatee tho...

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
I have been shaving my head for the last dozen years or so, in an effort to just BE bald, rather than GOING bald. In fact, my cartoon avatar for the board is eerily accurate. I have started wearing a sort of handlebar-ish mustache to go along with my goatee tho...

But how do you get the melted butter off your gloves?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
KO Rob wrote:

But how do you get the melted butter off your gloves?

Frankly, it involves more licking than is generally deemed acceptable in civilized society. The theater has usually emptied by the time the left glove is clean.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I found a term specific to this hairstyle: "Hoxton fin". Unfortunately it's only used in the UK.

Sounds very piscatorial!

I don't know if you're asking only about the menfolks' hair, but I currently have a Prince Valiant pageboy look, Clairol Nice & Easy #103.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]