Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
New Daikaiju -- Your Suggestions Please? 
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Probably not bad! Just think if Beth had been holding the camera! She would have gotten it all gooey with tears and snot. If Lily had been carrying it she would have tossed it aside impatiently as soon as the fracas started. Marlena was too traumatized to film. No, this emergency called for Hud and Hud alone.

But Hud, being a terribly dull person, found darkened buildings, the sky, and the backs of his friends far more interesting and attention grabbing than the some old unprecedented giant monster rampaging through New York City.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
Probably not bad! Just think if Beth had been holding the camera! She would have gotten it all gooey with tears and snot. If Lily had been carrying it she would have tossed it aside impatiently as soon as the fracas started. Marlena was too traumatized to film. No, this emergency called for Hud and Hud alone.

But Hud, being a terribly dull person, found darkened buildings, the sky, and the backs of his friends far more interesting and attention grabbing than the some old unprecedented giant monster rampaging through New York City.

Yeah, true, but seeing too much of the monster -- especially a dorky one like Clover -- would kinda tend to ruin it. Ask H.P. Lovecraft if you don't believe me!

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Are we overdue for a new FURRY daikaiju? You know, like King Seesar, only scary.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

I concur, King Kong only went so far... and there are so many great monster mammals to use from history, all you need is a little dab of DNA, maybe some gamma radiation, and a dream.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:45 am
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Are we overdue for a new FURRY daikaiju? You know, like King Seesar, only scary.

Alternatively: Are we overdue for a new FURRY daikaiju? You know, a kaiju who identifies with, and is sexually attracted to, anthropomorphic animals.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm
Destoroyah

MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

Alternatively: Are we overdue for a new FURRY daikaiju? You know, a kaiju who identifies with, and is sexually attracted to, anthropomorphic animals.

I'm going to go with "no" on the 2nd one there.

---------------------
The horny daikaiju in Big Man Japan were bad enough...

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:59 pm
Burning Godzilla

It's difficult to pit mammalian beasts against armor plated fire-breathing tanks, but I guess no one really complains too much about King Kong vs. Godzilla. I suppose the logic is, they're giant monsters, they can take a few hits, and that's good enough.
That said, a mandrill would make a good daikaiju. Those things are bloody terrifying.
Or if you wanted one that had some kind of offensive power other than big scary teeth, some kind of monster shrew that could projectile vomit its venom. Really you could even go with a regular bite and skip the spewing. A shrew monster would be considerably faster than its reptilian opponent so it could get some nips in before it got toasted.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Reptiles may look scarier, but in real life, mammals (and birds) win.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
Reptiles may look scarier, but in real life, mammals (and birds) win.

In the food chain, for sure. But if we threw out size restrictions and put everyone on the same playing field, size-wise, wouldn't the sheer strength, array of armaments and poisons, and absolute single mindedness of the insects and spiders make them the most formidable daikaiju? I guess some of the other animals could out strategize them, but if they were squared up, one on one, I wouldn't even want to mess with a giant pill bug.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'd still bet on the birds and mammals! Those heavily armored insects have to give up something for that protection, and pound for pound, mammals have far higher muscular strength. A mountain lion, for instance, has more muscle than all other tissues combined, which isn't true of any exoskeletal creature. Plus, the lion has much keener senses and is much smarter. And can run much faster, though if you allow kaiju-sized bugs to fly (which is even worse than allowing them to reach that size to start with), that's canceled out. About the only critter I'd expect to easily beat a like-sized mammal is a scorpion, and that can simply be outrun.

So, King Kong vs. a giant spider? I foresee many legs being pulled off.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

As to insects, I see size of the insect kaiju being less about the proportionate size of the individual. Where they would be unstoppable is for indivdual mass to be somewhat larger, but their mass as a horde being comparable to a kaiju. Imagine a horde of millions of fire ants the size of an average NBA center.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

And I seek your suggestions on what would make a great next kaiju design, along any of these lines.

Bear in mind that since something killed off the dinosaurs, which were neither strictly reptiles nor exactly birds, before we started taking notes on animal behavior, we are not THAT clear on how fast and bad-butted they were. Controversy rages on this very point. But I do want to point out that as long as they ruled the earth, mammals stayed the size of guinea pigs or smaller and pretty much hid in underground tunnels. Once the last dinosaurs were gone it was finally safe to come out.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
And I seek your suggestions on what would make a great next kaiju design, along any of these lines.

Bear in mind that since something killed off the dinosaurs, which were neither strictly reptiles nor exactly birds, before we started taking notes on animal behavior, we are not THAT clear on how fast and bad-butted they were. Controversy rages on this very point. But I do want to point out that as long as they ruled the earth, mammals stayed the size of guinea pigs or smaller and pretty much hid in underground tunnels. Once the last dinosaurs were gone it was finally safe to come out.

On the other hand, now that mammals are the dominant megafauna, most birds and reptiles have adopted miniaturization and inconspicuousness as survival strategies, too. It's just what happens when some other order bogarts all the ecological niches for bigness and scariness-- especially when one particular species in that order becomes smart enough to take perverse pleasure in killing anything bigger and scarier than itself.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

And before the reptiles and amphibians, arthropods were the biggest and baddest. Three meter sea scorpions.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
And before the reptiles and amphibians, arthropods were the biggest and baddest. Three meter sea scorpions.

All of which can come back in the blink of an eye, if my petition to Dagon...nemmine.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next