Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Godzilla (2014) 
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
A grievous misunderstanding of how EMPs actually work has shown up in a lot of high-profile scifi lately, so yeah, I'd put it down to coincidence.

Apparently in nuclear reactions, altitude appears to be one of the important components. So I'm assuming that the EMP caused by the underground nuclear explosion in Broken Arrow was also a load of hooey.

Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
A grievous misunderstanding of how EMPs actually work has shown up in a lot of high-profile scifi lately, so yeah, I'd put it down to coincidence.

Apparently in nuclear reactions, altitude appears to be one of the important components. So I'm assuming that the EMP caused by the underground nuclear explosion in Broken Arrow was also a load of hooey.

NOOOOOOOOOO. Not Broken Arrow, too!

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue May 27, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I know its not the first time Godzilla has been cast as the hero, but this one had a lot in common with the Gamera trilogy than recent Godzillas. That was a good thing. I also loved G's design. There were moment where he emerged from the dust like an old school bare-knuckled brawler and fought that way.

I was disappointed that we got so few extended fight sequences. The Las Vegas fight shown om TV was good, but I'd like to have seen more.

In terms of sheer invention and choreography of fighting, edwards could learn some lessons from Del Toro. I think one of the reAsons Edwards preferred aftermaths to events is that he could not think of enough interesting things to do in the actual fights. But man, did he ever know how to convey a sense of size. Kids in the audience were audibly saying "whoa" for good reason.
Very satisfying.

But please - no Mothra.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'm firmly in the "No Mothra" camp. I can guess that Ghidorah will show up by the third film, but I wouldn't miss him, either.

My opinion is that Gareth Edwards, to a certain extent, is testing the waters. I'm guessing that the sequel will be his Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight, since he'll both have a better grasp of working on a blockbuster and what things he has to improve the second time around.

The soundtrack, while not the best, works better the second time around.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I became concerned when there was a scene of random paper garbage that featured letters that clearly spelled out Mothra.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Plus, the terarium that had Mothra on it.

I havfe heard rumors about Mothra being inthe next one, but honestly isn;t Mothra generally considered a "good" Kaiju?

Good as in NOT evil.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 pm
Burning Godzilla

One of the guys of the Toho Kingdom podcast suggested that you could have Mothra as a lepidopteran radiation Eternal who just happened to set up shop on some dinky Pacific Island and came to be worshipped as a god, which would allow the the creature to enter the universe without resulting to mysticism. But we've had far too much Mothra for me to want to see her in action again.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Toho's business practices make it relatively unlikely that any American Godzilla film will feature other established monsters from the Toho stable. As I understand it, the studio charges a separate character licensing fee for each kaiju, and that there's no tiered fee structure. You want Godzilla to fight another Toho monster? Then you pay the same for that other monster as you would for Godzilla, even if it's only Gabera or Kamakiras. Legendary may decide that it's worth it if Godzilla keeps making money like it has been, but that very same performance could also be argued to prove that Godzilla doesn't need any help from Mothra or Rodan to be successful. And honestly, the MUTOs were such effective creations that I'd rather see what else Legendary's people can come up with, anyway.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

There was a rumor brought up at Toho Kingdom that Legendary had purchased the rights to five Toho kaiju, although which ones they were, I couldn't tell you. I think Toho has loosened up a lot in the past years, especially considering how the IDW comic series has been using other Toho monsters, as opposed to the Dark Horse and Marvel series, which couldn't afford the rights to the others.

I'm of the opinion that if they did use another existing monster, that they'd use one of the dinosaurian creatures and not Mothra, Mechagodzilla, or Ghidorah. But I do would like to see some more original creations.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well considering the success of Pacific Rim the use of Mechagodzilla seems like it could be a $$$ consideration for any Movie Execs looking to make the sequel.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:11 pm
Burning Godzilla

Well, Pacific Rim wasn't much of a success in the US, at least during its theatrical run: it made a little more than 100 million against a 180-190 million budget. It was pretty darn successful in international markets, though, which helped it to make a little profit. But I don't think it would be enough to get Legendary to pressure Edwards into including Mechagodzilla in future films. It would also be tonally out of sync with the first film, much in the same way that the Ang Lee Hulk wouldn't fit in the current Avengers universe.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Toho's business practices make it relatively unlikely that any American Godzilla film will feature other established monsters from the Toho stable. As I understand it, the studio charges a separate character licensing fee for each kaiju, and that there's no tiered fee structure. You want Godzilla to fight another Toho monster? Then you pay the same for that other monster as you would for Godzilla, even if it's only Gabera or Kamakiras.

Here are some sketches of the Toho monsters as they might've appeared in the Dark Horse comics, had it not been for the licensing fees as described above:

Ghidrah

Mothra

Anguirus

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I was listening to the Slaughter Film Podcast episode about this film and the two hosts suggested that during the sequence in Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository, there should've been a moment where the soldiers looked through the window on one of the doors, only to come across Tor Johnson taking a shower. I thought that was pretty funny.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
I became concerned when there was a scene of random paper garbage that featured letters that clearly spelled out Mothra.

Wha--?

*races to see the movie again*

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Legendary may decide that it's worth it if Godzilla keeps making money like it has been, but that very same performance could also be argued to prove that Godzilla doesn't need any help from Mothra or Rodan to be successful. And honestly, the MUTOs were such effective creations that I'd rather see what else Legendary's people can come up with, anyway.

Now that I've seen Kong: Skull Island, I agree wholeheartedly with the statement above. I'm almost disappointed that the second Godzilla movie is shaping up to be a remake of Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster. Here's hoping that the people behind Krampus can put some cool twists on a familiar premise (monster-wise, that is).

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2