Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
El Santo & Juniper's Ridiculously Tardy VHS Giveaway 
Burning Godzilla

Yeah, I know-- everybody else has already done this, and who the hell wants VHS tapes in 2014? But I always feel bad just disposing of media, so I'm giving you folks a crack at the castoffs from my collection before they go to Goodwill and/or the dumpster just the same. This is going to be an ongoing process, with more tapes becoming available as I work my way through my collection, converting my substantial VHS holdings to DVD-R. Here's the first installment, leaning heavily on bootlegs and stuff I got via dub-trades back when that was still a thing that people did:

Anthropophagous the Beast (1980; this is a format-converted bootleg of the British pre-cert release, gorier than the version released in the US as The Grim Reaper) [Claimed by somebody on another board, 3/6/14]
The Brainiac (1961; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by Victoria Silverwolf, 3/7/14]
Desperate Teenage Lovedolls (1984; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by somebody on another board, 3/6/14]
Excalibur (1981; Warner Brothers factory tape released circa 2000) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
Ghoul Sex Squad (1991, Chinese audio and terrible English subtitles; format-converted dub from Hong Kong [or possibly Taiwanese] VHS source) [Claimed by Brother Ragnarok, 3/7/14]
Giant Monster Baran (1958, the original Japanese cut of Varan the Unbelievable with Japanese audio and English subtitles; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
The Horror at 37,000 Feet (1973; recorded from cable TV broadcast with commercials edited out) [Claimed by somebody on another board, 3/6/14]
Message from Space (1978; recorded from commercial-free cable TV broadcast) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (1987; Animeigo factory tape released circa 1995) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
Night of the Lepus (1972; recorded from cable TV broadcast with commercials edited out) [Claimed by somebody on another board, 3/6/14]
Psychopath (1968-- this is the semi-parodic Krimi/caper flick with Klaus Kinski in a minor role, also known as Mr. Ten Percent and Sigpress vs. Scotland Yard; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by somebody on another board, 3/6/14]
The Return of the Alien's Deadly Spawn (1983, aka The Deadly Spawn; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
The Slayer (1981; dubbed from domestic VHS source) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984; dubbed from domestic laser disc source [no, really!]) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
The X from Outer Space (1967; recorded from commercial-free cable TV broadcast) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]
Zombie Holocaust (1979; format-converted bootleg of the Netherlands VHS edition, with English audio and Dutch subtitles) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 3/9/14]

The image quality on most of these is distinctly sub-optimal, with the titles converted from PAL or SECAM signal format naturally being the worst. On the other hand, they're also free for the asking, and a couple of them don't seem to have a legit DVD or Blu-Ray release yet. Any takers?

Last edited by El Santo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Free is good.

I'd be interested in The Brainiac, which I have somehow never managed to see. We still have a working VHS machine at home.

Mailing address sent as private message.

Thanks!

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:26 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Will do. Anyone else? There are still ten titles up for grabs.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I have a feeling I'm going to regret it, but I think I need to see Ghoul Sex Squad.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just started watching some old VHS tapes recently purchased on Amazon, so I'm keenly interested in future offerings, Scott. If you come across any "fighting" movies on tape (and I take a broad view of fighting... boxing, martial arts, thumb wrestling), particularly ones that aren't yet available in other media, please keep me in mind!

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
I have a feeling I'm going to regret it, but I think I need to see Ghoul Sex Squad.

Ha! I was wondering who would eventually bite for that one...

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

And now for round 2:

Basket Case (1982; Media Home Entertainment factory tape.) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 4/23/14.]

Crumb (1994; Sony factory tape.)

The Day of the Triffids (1962; Congress Video Group factory tape.)

Eyes Without a Face (1959; Kino Video factory tape. French dialogue, English subtitles.) [Claimed by someone on another board, 4/14/14.]

Frankenstein Created Woman (1966; Anchor Bay factory tape. Includes trailers and TV ads, has liner notes on reverse of cover insert.)

The Golem (1920; Timeless Video factory tape. Be warned: the picture is fair enough, but the generic classical music score is terrible.)

The Hills Have Eyes (1977; Starmaker factory tape.) [Claimed by somebody on Facebook, 4/23/14.]

Midnight (1980; Vidmark factory tape. This is the John Russo devil-cult movie, as opposed to any of the other Midnights you might know.)

Night of the Ghouls (1958; Rhino factory tape. This is from Rhino's Midnight Madness line, with host segments before and after by Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.) [Claimed by Victoria Silverwolf, 4/14/14.]

976-EVIL (1989; Columbia-TriStar factory tape. Claims to include "previously unreleased footage," whatever that means.)

Prey for Rock & Roll (2003; Lionsgate factory tape.) [Claimed by someone on another board, 4/13/14.]

Razorback (1983; Warner Brothers factory tape.) [Claimed by someone on another board, 4/12/14.]

Return of the Blind Dead (1973; Video Treasures/Anchor Bay factory tape. Dubbed into English, although the packaging claims Spanish dialogue/English subtitles.) [Claimed by someone on another board, 4/14/14.]

Superdimensional Fortress Macross: The Movie (1984; Best Film & Video factory tape. Dubbed into English. This is the uncut version, including a few bits of nudity and ultraviolence that were trimmed from the FHE release under the title Clash of the Bionoids.) [Claimed by ThatVHSGuy, 4/24/14.]

The Whip and the Body (1963; VCI factory tape. Dubbed into English by people who were too cheap to pay Christopher Lee to record his own dialogue. This is the uncut version, featuring all the perversion that was excised when it played in the US as What! during the 60's.) [Claimed by someone on another board, 4/12/14.]

Last edited by El Santo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I won't make any more claims for any of these, but I wanted to let everybody know that El Santo and Juniper can be relied on for quick, accurate, friendly service. Order now while supplies last!

Edited to add: On the other hand, if nobody else wants Night of the Ghouls, I wouldn't say no.

Edited again to add: Thanks for putting my name down for Night of the Ghouls. You could probably guess that was the one I'd pick, couldn't you?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:56 pm
Profile YIM
Kenny

I'm interested in the Macross movie, hopefully it's not too late.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 am
Burning Godzilla

ThatVHSGuy wrote:
I'm interested in the Macross movie, hopefully it's not too late.

Will do. PM me your address, and it's yours.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]