Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters Needed! 
Author Message
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
Kaijumatic (link in signature) is a virtual encyclopedia of giant movie monsters* with over 300 kaiju!

It's reasonably complete up until 1969 (in queue the 30-foot Bride of Candy Rock (1959)); after that I'm constantly playing catch up as I discover new giant monsters in movies through various lists online.

I've gotten some great monsters digging around here at Stomp Tokyo, and more from the members, and thought I'd make a thread where I could be schooled on any giant monsters I've missed. Any help is appreciated!

Movies in the monster bucket waiting for me to add to the site include the Aliens and Transformers franchises.

*Qualifiers: Feature-length, theatrically-released, live-action film giant monsters only. What is giant? That's tougher, my general rule of thumb is 9 feet or more long or tall, however, exceptions are made for normally very small creatures that are made larger (like the Killer Shrews). What's a monster? Anything of the size described or greater that's not currently living on earth (so an extinct mastodon would be a monster but an elephant would not) or not normally that size (like a 20' human).

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9382
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
I saw where you had the Mumakil from Return of the King, but I saw no entry for the Cave Troll from Fellowship of the Ring. Is that monster listed under another name?

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:35 am
Posts: 2481
Location: Chattanooga TN
Some goofy examples you may not have considered:

The "Big Victor" (Victor Mature) whose giant head gives the Monkees movie Head its title.

The giant breast in the John Carradine/mad scientist sequence of the Woody Allen movie Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (* But Were Afraid to Ask)

Similarly, the giant chicken (and maybe the giant vegetables) in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper.

The giant teenagers in Village of the Giants.

_________________
Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Cthulhu from "The Drowned" segment of Necronomicon and also from Call of Cthulhu.

I mentioned the Wendigo from Frostbiter in another thread.

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6168
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
The giant teenagers in Village of the Giants.

That movie also has a pair of giant ducks and a giant housecat.

Meanwhile, your catalogue of giant apes is missing the Mighty Gorga (as seen in The Mighty Gorga), and your page on giant spiders needs a mention of the ones infesting Mirkwood in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Captain Nemo and the Underwater City has a giant stingray called Mobula, The Legend of Hillbilly John has a nasty magical vulture-thing called Ugly Bird, and there's a virtually unknown Korean kaiju by the name of Wangmagwi who appeared circa 1963 in a movie the name of which escapes me. (I think it was something like Space Monster Wangmagwi, but don't quote me on that.) It may also interest you to know that Pulgasari had a previous incarnation in an early-60's film called The Iron-Eating Monster. Then there's Orochi, an eight-headed dragon of Japanese extraction who appeared first in 1959's The Three Treasures, then about 40 years later in Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon. The Loch Ness Monster also has a few theatrically released movies to its credit, including Larry Buchanan's The Loch Ness Horror and a British film from 1934 called The Secret of the Loch.

Speaking of the Good Old Days, Bela Lugosi creates a couple of giant, killer bats in The Devil Bat, and the script for that movie was recycled, with a few tweaks and the substitution of Quetzalcoatl for the bats, to create The Flying Serpent six years later. Your King Kong page is missing a pair of Japanese interpretations from the 30's, one from 1933's King Kong Made in Japan (although that one's iffy on length grounds-- as a three-reeler, it's much too short for modern notions of feature length, but within the normal parameters for Japanese B-movies of its era) and another from 1938's King Kong Appears in Edo. (Both of those movies, sadly, are believed lost now.) The 1929 version of The Mysterious Island has a couple giant monsters, too: the humongous octopus that acts as the Sea People's guard dog and the hump-backed sea dragon that apparently motivates them to keep such an extravagant pet.

And of course the realm of heroic fantasy is very heavily laden with giant monsters. The 1924 version of The Thief of Bagdad has a dragon, a monster sand flea, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. The remake of that film from 1940 has a giant spider and a huge, short-tempered genie. The actor who played the aforementioned genie went on to play a virtually identical giant in A Thousand and One Nights. Jack the Giant Killer features an entire menagerie of big beasties, including a two-eyed rip-off of Ray Harryhausen's famous cyclops, a second humanoid giant with two heads, a flying dragon, and an almost indescribable sea monster. Conan the Barbarian has Thulsa Doom's pet snake; Conan the Destroyer has Thoth Amon's pet ghost-dragon and Dagoth the Dreaming God; and Red Sonja has an animalistic golem that looks sort of like a cross between a shark and a crocodile. Luigi Cozzi had Hercules fight a bunch of sad robot monsters, including a "hydra" that resembled nothing so much as a cheap Southeast Asian knockoff of a first-generation Zoid. Yor: The Hunter from the Future has several surprisingly well-done not-quite-dinosaurs. And I'm sure the Italian peplum craze of the 60's must have produced at least a handful of creatures that would merit inclusion in your bestiary.

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- The Belko Experiment, Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, and a whole lot more!


Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
Bergerjacques wrote:
I saw where you had the Mumakil from Return of the King, but I saw no entry for the Cave Troll from Fellowship of the Ring. Is that monster listed under another name?


He's detailed under the Troll heading. Orcs and goblins are forthcoming (under Sauron as they aren't giant).

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 pm
Profile
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Some goofy examples you may not have considered:

The "Big Victor" (Victor Mature) whose giant head gives the Monkees movie Head its title.

The giant breast in the John Carradine/mad scientist sequence of the Woody Allen movie Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (* But Were Afraid to Ask)

Similarly, the giant chicken (and maybe the giant vegetables) in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper.

The giant teenagers in Village of the Giants.


I have seen the latter three movies and never would have remembered! Gigantic chickens, breasts, and teenagers thrown in the bucket. And I didn't even know there was a Monkees movie, Big Victor will be added, too. I'll post again when all of these articles are up, thank you!

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am
Posts: 6574
Location: California's #2 tourist destination
Wow Doc, you really got Santoed there.

_________________
"This is a Star Trek that pretends to have balls, but continues to prove that those balls are actually rubber prophylactics pretending to be balls." -- Bj

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6168
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
supersonic man wrote:
Wow Doc, you really got Santoed there.

Heh. Would you believe I thought of a bunch more on the way home from work yesterday?

The Magic Sword (1962): Fire-breathing two-headed dragon and some big ogrish sort of thing.
The Land that Time Forgot (1975) and The People that Time Forgot (1977): Scads of dinosaurs and other Mesozoic reptiles, including a Stegosaurus, some Pterodactyls, a plesiosaur of some kind, and plenty more.
At the Earth's Core (1976): This thing, and this thing, and these guys, and probably something else I'm forgetting.
Yeti: Giant of the 20th Century (1977): This version of the Abominable Snowman is approximately Kong-sized.
Quest for Fire (1981): Wooly mammoths.
Razorback (1983): A razorback hog roughly the size of a rhinoceros.
The Barbarians (1987): Another fire-breathing dragon, this one with just one head.
10,000 B.C. (2008): More wooly mammoths, a Smilodon, and a flock of terror birds (Diatryma? Andalgalornis? Something like that, anyway).


Something else you might consider are movies in which the monster is a theoretically normal animal, but is portrayed as being much too large for its species. Take the sharks in the Jaws series, for example. Even the first movie's relatively realistic shark is at the extreme upper limit of verifiable great white size, and might exceed it by some 15%, depending on whether you favor Brodie's estimate or Quint's. The 30- and 35-foot sharks of the sequels are absurdly oversized. The same goes for the bear in Grizzly, which is supposed to stand 15 feet tall on its hind legs, and for Primeval's Gustave, whose nine-meter length makes him half again as long as his real-life namesake is purported to be.

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- The Belko Experiment, Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, and a whole lot more!


Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9382
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
Speaking of bears, it doesn't quite measure up to kaiju standards, but it is quite big. The mutant bear from Prophecy.

Then you have the short, short scene of a rubber-suit kaiju-sized Jason Statham from Crank 2: High Voltage

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
Hman wrote:
Cthulhu from "The Drowned" segment of Necronomicon and also from Call of Cthulhu.


Can't believe I haven't seen Necronomicon, I've never had a chance to watch it! That weird one-eyed Cthulhu will be added after I watch a video clip to get an idea of the size of it.

As to Call of Cthulhu, that's a short film so that Cthulhu will not be added now (though I may "widen my net" in the future once I feel all of the feature-length movie monsters are accounted for).

Quote:
I mentioned the Wendigo from Frostbiter in another thread.


I see that film was direct to video, so that Wendigo won't be added, yet. I have so many big screen monsters to add first!

It's not that I don't want to add the direct-to-video giant monsters like Sharktopus, etc.; I just know that would at least double the pool of monsters to include, so I'm saving that for some future time. Thanks for the Necronomicon monster, never would have known!

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 pm
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
Doctor Kaiju wrote:
I see that film was direct to video, so that Wendigo won't be added, yet. I have so many big screen monsters to add first!

It's not that I don't want to add the direct-to-video giant monsters like Sharktopus, etc.; I just know that would at least double the pool of monsters to include, so I'm saving that for some future time. Thanks for the Necronomicon monster, never would have known!

Ah, that would explain why Zarkorr and Kraa aren't on there; theatrical only at this point.

El Santo beat me to the punch with that blitzkrieg of kaiju. (Hell, he knew about the older Pulgasari even!)

For giant crocodiles, you might consider Rogue; at about 23 feet it's on the cusp of reliably recorded sizes for salties, but that's still pretty damn big.

You've got the alien sasquatch from Terror in the Midnight Sun/Invasion of the Animal People/Space Invasion of Lapland; despite it seeming to fluctuate in size throughout the movie, it appears to be about Kong size (15-20 feet tall) for the most part.

Along with Orochi, Yamato Takeru/Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon also features Utsuno Ikusagami, a warrior-god who looks like the Megazord's fancy brother.

I haven't seen Sector 7, but the couple of images I've seen of the beastie from that one make it appear to be at least as big as the critter from The Host, which you have listed. If anyone's seen it and can confirm, great.

Along with Razorback you have Chawz; I think that was theatrically released in Korea, but I might be wrong.



-------------------
That's all I've got for now.


Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm
Profile
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
El Santo wrote:
That movie also has a pair of giant ducks and a giant housecat.


Nice, the first ducks and house cat thrown into the blender! (meaning I've found a photo and the movie poster and such).

Quote:
Meanwhile, your catalogue of giant apes is missing the Mighty Gorga (as seen in The Mighty Gorga)


Never heard of it, fantastic! I see he fought a rather dopey looking tyrannosaurus, I'll add that also.

Quote:
and your page on giant spiders needs a mention of the ones infesting Mirkwood in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.


I just saw that film recently, already in the bucket (along with a new Smaug article for the same film).

Quote:
Captain Nemo and the Underwater City has a giant stingray called Mobula,


Did it just use stock footage of a regular manta ray for Mobula? I haven't been able to find a picture on the web yet, but will include as soon as I do.

Quote:
The Legend of Hillbilly John has a nasty magical vulture-thing called Ugly Bird,


I never heard of that movie in my life, awesome! Ugly Bird is going in the bucket.

Quote:
and there's a virtually unknown Korean kaiju by the name of Wangmagwi who appeared circa 1963 in a movie the name of which escapes me. (I think it was something like Space Monster Wangmagwi, but don't quote me on that.)


Never heard of this one either, sweet! Very excited about including this monster in the encyclopedia.

Quote:
It may also interest you to know that Pulgasari had a previous incarnation in an early-60's film called The Iron-Eating Monster.


All I've found for that is a poster, are there are actual shots of the monster in existence I can use?

Quote:
Then there's Orochi, an eight-headed dragon of Japanese extraction who appeared first in 1959's The Three Treasures, then about 40 years later in Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon. The Loch Ness Monster also has a few theatrically released movies to its credit, including Larry Buchanan's The Loch Ness Horror and a British film from 1934 called The Secret of the Loch.


These I actually knew about, I just haven't tracked them down yet. They are now in the bucket, thank you!

Regarding Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon, on researching that film I've come across at least ten previously unknown-to-me kaiju, a big robot, many more dragons, giant birds, and even a weird blob creature at your website! What a fun trail of monstrous bread crumbs these films have led me on. I was unaware of the 1934 film, and the "giant" iguana amuses me!

Quote:
Speaking of the Good Old Days, Bela Lugosi creates a couple of giant, killer bats in The Devil Bat, and the script for that movie was recycled, with a few tweaks and the substitution of Quetzalcoatl for the bats, to create The Flying Serpent six years later.


I had forgotten about The Devil Bat, I'll get right on that, good one! The Flying Serpent is totally new to me, a good addition.

Quote:
Your King Kong page is missing a pair of Japanese interpretations from the 30's, one from 1933's King Kong Made in Japan (although that one's iffy on length grounds-- as a three-reeler, it's much too short for modern notions of feature length, but within the normal parameters for Japanese B-movies of its era) and another from 1938's King Kong Appears in Edo. (Both of those movies, sadly, are believed lost now.)


I knew about these, but there's no poster for either one and just those two stills (one for each); I thought since the films were so short they could be left out.

Quote:
The 1929 version of The Mysterious Island has a couple giant monsters, too: the humongous octopus that acts as the Sea People's guard dog and the hump-backed sea dragon that apparently motivates them to keep such an extravagant pet.


I didn't know about this one, plus it has a weird crab creature in it! All added to queue, thanks!

Quote:
And of course the realm of heroic fantasy is very heavily laden with giant monsters. The 1924 version of The Thief of Bagdad has a dragon, a monster sand flea, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.


Excellent, dragon and bat thing added; could not find sand flea, unless that is a guy that kind of looks like a mummy?

Quote:
The remake of that film from 1940 has a giant spider and a huge, short-tempered genie. The actor who played the aforementioned genie went on to play a virtually identical giant in A Thousand and One Nights.


Never saw these films either, great monsters!

Quote:
Jack the Giant Killer features an entire menagerie of big beasties, including a two-eyed rip-off of Ray Harryhausen's famous cyclops, a second humanoid giant with two heads, a flying dragon, and an almost indescribable sea monster.


Jackpot! Another great movie I didn't know existed. I really like the sea monster, what a prime batch of monsters.

Quote:
Conan the Barbarian has Thulsa Doom's pet snake;


Already in the bucket, one of my favorites, and Thulsa Doom himself can turn into a giant snake!

Quote:
Conan the Destroyer has Thoth Amon's pet ghost-dragon and Dagoth the Dreaming God;


I already had Dagoth locked and loaded, but forgot about the ghost dragon. I wasn't able to find the ghost bird/dragon image online, so that will have to wait.

Quote:
and Red Sonja has an animalistic golem that looks sort of like a cross between a shark and a crocodile.


I have seen that movie a few times but had totally forgotten that monster, thank you.

Quote:
Luigi Cozzi had Hercules fight a bunch of sad robot monsters, including a "hydra" that resembled nothing so much as a cheap Southeast Asian knockoff of a first-generation Zoid.


My word, blocked that one right out! It also has a centaur robot and a flying robot, all lame, all in the queue.

Quote:
Yor: The Hunter from the Future has several surprisingly well-done not-quite-dinosaurs.


Stegoceratops and a dimetrodon added; I couldn't find a picture of the bat/pterodactyl he uses as a glider. I haven't seen this movie in forever!

Quote:
And I'm sure the Italian peplum craze of the 60's must have produced at least a handful of creatures that would merit inclusion in your bestiary.


I've been digging through some of those, he does fight some unimpressive snakes but nothing else so far. I'll keep searching on this one.

I appreciate all of the leads, I'll post again when the articles are up. You're awesome!

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Last edited by Doctor Kaiju on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:49 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Let's see:

The Neptune Factor has some photographically-enlarged sea life.

The Italian 50s sci-fi film Caltiki, the Undying Monster has a prehistoric daikaiju amoeba played by a wet burlap sack.

Finally, an 7-foot tick figures into climax of Ticks, released in theaters as Infested .

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
supersonic man wrote:
Wow Doc, you really got Santoed there.


Seriously, I'm exhausted! That's a lot of monsters. I think Kaijumatic will breach 400 kaiju after this batch is posted. I still have a lot more suggestions to go through, I'll hit the next post tomorrow night, thanks for your patience!

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy