Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Identify these movie clips from "Monsterpiece Theate" 
Burning Godzilla

There's a thing over at archive.org called "Monsterpiece Theater" where somebody has cobbled together trailers with a feature film. The opening sequence of this thing features several clips from old movies. Can you help me identify what they are?

https://archive.org/details/Monsterpiec ... Presents01

(The running time of the entire feature is an hour and a half, but the opening sequence is less than ninety seconds. I list the approximate time I spot something, and offer any guesses I have.)

00:06: Obviously some kaiju, and it looks like a Godzilla movie to me.

00:09: I'm pretty sure this steampunk spaceship is from The First Men in the Moon.

00:11: Spaceship from Forbidden Planet?

00:15: First Spaceship on Venus, I believe.

00:20: Pretty sure this is Queen of Blood.

00:22: I have no idea what this scary sharp-toothed doll is from. (Not Trilogy of Terror; it looks nothing like that one.)

00:23: A different (?) scary doll (or something like that) appears very briefly and floats quickly up to the upper left corner of the screen. No idea what this is, and I can't even tell if it's the same as the one above or not.

00:24: Scary black-and-white person jumping at the viewer. No idea.

00:26: Guy being grabbed by a claw. I think this is Attack of The Crab Monsters.

00:30: Spaceship zapping airplanes; Earth vs. the Flying Saucers?

00:32: Must be The Giant Claw.

00:34: Mob scene with a guy wearing a "REPENT" sign -- seems to have been tinted sepia for this, or else just a lousy copy; could it be When Worlds Collide?

00:40: Military (?) riot scene which splits into four parts quickly -- no idea. (Japanese?)

00:42: Some guy's face which emerges from behind the four split parts of the previous scene -- he screams and some light hits him. He seems to be wearing a space uniform or some such. No idea.

00:44: Guy with badly damaged face and a bunch of tentacles behind him. No idea.

00:47: Woman screaming (black and white) -- looks like the poster image from Scream of Fear, but that's just a guess.

00:50: Dinosaur type monster -- doesn't look like Godzilla in the next scene, so no idea.

00:54: Looks like it might be the original Godzilla.

00:57: Gotta be Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman.

1:00: The Blob, of course.

1:05: Woman screaming, fades to a hooded figure of some kind. No idea. Two movies?

1:10: Woman screaming, plant-like monster. I'm guessing Day of the Triffids.

1:12: Looks like the shadow of the monster in It! The Terror From Beyond Space.

1:17: Clearly Laserblast.

1:21: Crumbling buildings: no idea.

Any help with these would be appreciated.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:39 am
Profile YIM
Mothra

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:

00:22: I have no idea what this scary sharp-toothed doll is from. (Not Trilogy of Terror; it looks nothing like that one.)

Could it be from Barbarella?

Quote:
00:50: Dinosaur type monster -- doesn't look like Godzilla in the next scene, so no idea.

That's the Rhedosaurus from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 am
Burning Godzilla

1:05 I think is The Fly.Scientist with head covered in blanket was the giveaway.

Quote:

00:09: I'm pretty sure this steampunk spaceship is from The First Men in the Moon.

Actually, I think :06 and :09 are from the same movie. The greenhouse is exploding from the inside from the Steampunk ship lifting off. I think you are correct that it's First Men in the Moon

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
1:05 I think is The Fly.Scientist with head covered in blanket was the giveaway.

Quote:

Actually, I think :06 and :09 are from the same movie. The greenhouse is exploding from the inside from the Steampunk ship lifting off. I think you are correct that it's First Men in the Moon

Ah! I was seeing the swaying tree as a giant monster! Silly me!

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

The burned-face guy with the tentacles behind him is from The Green Slime, I believe. And I think the "Repent" sign guy is from a terrible print of the 1953 War of the Worlds.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am
Mothra

Ah! I was seeing the swaying tree as a giant monster! Silly me!

The texture of the trees looks remarkably like Godzilla's skin, I thought the same thing at first.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am
Burning Godzilla

I agree with BJ that these two look like they're really just one clip. I can neither confirm nor deny First Men in the Moon as the source, however, as I've never seen that one.

00:11: Spaceship from Forbidden Planet?

Correct.

00:15: First Spaceship on Venus, I believe.

Also correct.

00:20: Pretty sure this is Queen of Blood.

Right again.

00:23: A different (?) scary doll (or something like that) appears very briefly and floats quickly up to the upper left corner of the screen. No idea what this is, and I can't even tell if it's the same as the one above or not.

Doctor Kaiju has this one. They're the flesh-eating dolls that the evil children of Sogo sic on Barbarella when she first crashes on their planet.

00:24: Scary black-and-white person jumping at the viewer. No idea.

Huh. This one's a mystery to me, too.

00:26: Guy being grabbed by a claw. I think this is Attack of The Crab Monsters.

00:30: Spaceship zapping airplanes; Earth vs. the Flying Saucers?

00:32: Must be The Giant Claw.

Yes, yes, and yes.

00:34: Mob scene with a guy wearing a "REPENT" sign -- seems to have been tinted sepia for this, or else just a lousy copy; could it be When Worlds Collide?

Telstar Man has the right of this one; the siege of Los Angeles from War of the Worlds, either faded to a uniform 70's-kitchen brown or inexplicably reduced from gorgeous Technicolor to shabby sepia tint.

00:40: Military (?) riot scene which splits into four parts quickly -- no idea. (Japanese?)

I think this might be from War of the Gargantuas, but it's too blurry and cuts too quickly for me to be sure.

00:42: Some guy's face which emerges from behind the four split parts of the previous scene -- he screams and some light hits him. He seems to be wearing a space uniform or some such. No idea.

I don't know either-- which is really frustrating, because I'm almost certain I've seen it!

00:44: Guy with badly damaged face and a bunch of tentacles behind him. No idea.

Like Telstar Man says, The Green Slime

00:47: Woman screaming (black and white) -- looks like the poster image from Scream of Fear, but that's just a guess.

Not Scream of Fear, but I can't help you beyond that.

Another good catch by Doctor Kaiju-- The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms it is.

00:54: Looks like it might be the original Godzilla.

00:57: Gotta be Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman.

1:00: The Blob, of course.

Three for three there.

1:05: Woman screaming, fades to a hooded figure of some kind. No idea. Two movies?

Score one more for BJ-- it's the 1958 version of The Fly.

1:10: Woman screaming, plant-like monster. I'm guessing Day of the Triffids.

1:12: Looks like the shadow of the monster in It! The Terror From Beyond Space.

1:17: Clearly Laserblast.

And three more for you.

1:21: Crumbling buildings: no idea.

I want to say that's from the climax to Five Million Years to Earth, right before the Martian "devil" manifests itself, but I'm not completely sure.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I can confirm First Men In The Moon with 90% confidence.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Thanks for the help, folks!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:13 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I was a little disappointed this thread wasn't about Sir Alistair Cookie, I'll admit.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm
Kenny

This is GORGO, and it can be seen in this (much nicer) trailer at 1:25. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ-RVYDv8E

Quote:

This scene and the one at 0:44 are both from THE GREEN SLIME.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]