Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
A Slasher Classic? 
Minya

Hello all.

Any recommendations re: unique slasher films? I'm looking for something that might have slipped under the radar, something beyond Halloween, Friday the 13th and so on. Also, if it plays with other genres, is campy, silly, over-the-top, whatever, I'm interested in knowing about it.

If it feels anything like this lost Halloween movie, which is apparently fake, I need to see it.

Thank you!

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

Try a film called Slashers

"There coming to get you Barbara"

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:45 pm
Minya

Looks good! Thank you.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cheerleader Camp has Lucinda Dickey as Professor Moriarty, and a decent sense of humor. It's not all that gory, and pretty obviously made to jump on the bandwagon of the other campers-get-stabbed movies. I remember liking it quite a bit when I saw it several years ago.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 am
Mothra

try the celler door its got blood,beautiful girls and a simple minded pervert who collects his prisoners waste.the story line does lose focus but its still worth while

"There coming to get you Barbara"

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 pm
Destoroyah

I would probably go with The Burning, which is about as close as you get to actual quality in what we commonly recognize as slasher films. The story is pretty standard stuff, albeit done with a LOT less stupidity than usual, and with great effort to avoid what would become the cliches of the slasher films (even though it was an early addition to said subgenre). The acting ranges from decent to good, and I don't recall any egregiously stupid behavior from any of the characters or glaring inconsistencies in the plot. The cinematography is nicely done, the music is quite good, and the gore effects come courtesy of Tom Savini so you know they're top-drawer. Best of all (spoiler) NO STUPID TWIST ENDING! I'm very tempted to call this the best slasher out there, if we disregard the two big slasher progenitors, Bay of Blood and Halloween, which both manage to trump it.

After that, it's slim pickings. I've heard good things about Anthropophagus, Sleepaway Camp and Prom Night, mainly from El Santo, but to my shame have yet to see any of them. I don't know that The Stepfather can be considered a slasher, but it is a close cousin, and it's good enough I'd recommend it anyway.

Back to more traditional slashers, I personally have a fondness for Madman and the original My Bloody Valentine, which are both okay as far as regular movies go. (Of course, this makes them better than average among slashers.) The former gives us a better-moving story than usual, a couple of characters that aren't loathesome so we have people we hope don't get whacked, some surprisingly good night shooting (I don't recall moments where I couldn't tell what was going on) and a really nifty theme song; however, the acting's not very good, the burly madman moves like a ninja at times, and the gore mostly looks like red paint. The latter has some excellent use of setting and sound, an interesting back story, some nice splatter (which unfortunately looks to have been toned down via editing in places), and an even better theme song. Unfortunately, the characters are mostly loud-mouthed morons who pretty much deserve what's coming to them; and the ending hurts it pretty badly, between its very sudden "That's it!" closing that leaves almost nothing resolved, and the revelation of who the killer is, which is not only contrived, I'm not even sure it's possible. I know opinion varies (especially on MBV) but I think they're worth a look.

-------------------
After you watch The Burning, that is.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 pm
Burning Godzilla

Sleepaway Camp has only its twist and a near non-existent subplot regarding a very strange mother to recommend it. The movie itself is balls.

You're Next is contemporary and I was openly hateful of it its trailers. But the makers appear to understand and use some - some - of the best aspects of typical slasher movies to make theirs.

Interesting twist on the slasher - A Dangerous Woman with Debra Winger.

Also, in keeping with the times, seek out Bob Clark's original Black Christmas featuring a scene stealing Margot Kidder and Silent Night, Bloody Night.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Not my favorite genre, and I have a low tolerance for gore, but one I enjoyed was Curtains (1983), a Canadian film which benefited from its adult cast (instead of teenagers), its icy setting, and a great deal of mood.

Extended review (with spoilers) here:

http://www.terrortrap.com/slasherfrenzy/curtains/

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile YIM
Destoroyah

Oh, forgot one I like, probably a bit more than MBV or Madman. Stage Fright, the 1987 Michael Soavi slasher movie; not to be confused with the 1980 John Lamond movie of the same name, which sounds like a "portrait of madness"-type film with slasher touches. The plot's the standard "people trapped with a killer" one, in this case a theater, but has a couple of nice, unique touches throughout and it moves quickly enough . The killer's mask is not only neat, but actually has a reason to be handy for him to wear (not like Jason's acquiring of his hockey mask). The acting's acceptable (the actor I liked least is one of the first to die, so that's good); there are some good, often gory kills; we have a couple of ridiculous touches (the killer's rinky-dink, toy-looking chainsaw; the position-shifting pickaxe); the presentation of one of the better "dead body tableaux" I've seen; and a final scene that only makes sense if you know who the actor playing the killer is (well, more sense, anyway).

If you can find it, I'd pick that one before Madman or MBV. Hell, I think I'm going to dig it out this weekend.

---------------------
Still, watch The Burning first. Seriously.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 am
Burning Godzilla

Another one in the "merely decent as a movie, but way up in the right tail of the bell curve among slashers" category is The Slayer (1981). There are three neat things about it. First, there's the setting, a beach house on a virtually uninhabited island, not far from the ruins of a vacation resort. Second, there's the all-adult cast. Third, and most importantly, it has a genuinely good and thought-provoking twist ending, which retroactively creates three equally defensible but mutually exclusive interpretive schemes for everything we've seen up to then, all of them casting serious aspersions on the final girl's trustworthiness as a viewpoint character.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

El Santo wrote:
Another one in the "merely decent as a movie, but way up in the right tail of the bell curve among slashers" category is The Slayer (1981). There are three neat things about it. First, there's the setting, a beach house on a virtually uninhabited island, not far from the ruins of a vacation resort. Second, there's the all-adult cast. Third, and most importantly, it has a genuinely good and thought-provoking twist ending, which retroactively creates three equally defensible but mutually exclusive interpretive schemes for everything we've seen up to then, all of them casting serious aspersions on the final girl's trustworthiness as a viewpoint character.

Someone brought that up not too long ago -- I want to say someone over at Jabootu, or maybe it was someone here -- and put this one on my radar. I see it's on YouTube in its entirety, and if I ever get some time I'll have to check it out.

I was also going to watch Spookies there, but that got taken care of last month at T-Fest.

--------------------------
I wanted to thank Sandy for it, but I'm still bitter about Daniel der Zauberer.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]