Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Films like Planet Terror 
Minya

Hi. I'm looking for films like Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror." If any of you know if he used certain films as direct (or indirect) inspiration for the film (lifting certain lines, themes, homages), then please share. And/or if you know any films that have a similar action/sci-fi/over-the-top feel, please share, especially older films. Thank you!

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it compared to early Peter Jackson movies like The Dead Alive in terms of over-the-top gore.

I'm not sure if the machine-gun-for-a-leg had been done before, but in the 1982 film Pink Force Commando, Brigitte Lin chops off her arm and has it replaced with a gatling gun.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minya

Thanks! I've seen Dead Alive and yeah, the gore is definitely there.

I have never even heard of Pink Force Commando. Sounds cool, just checked out a short Youtube clip. I'll look into it! Thank you.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it compared to early Peter Jackson movies like The Dead Alive in terms of over-the-top gore.

I'm not sure if the machine-gun-for-a-leg had been done before, but in the 1982 film Pink Force Commando, Brigitte Lin chops off her arm and has it replaced with a gatling gun.

Dead Alive is highly recommended, but despite the action and over-the-top gore, at its heart its a love story about a guy with mommy issues. Really, really huge mommy issues. Not that it isn't a great recommendation, though. Its pretty damn terrific and, it gots zombies.

If, however, you liked the government conspiracy action of Planet Terror, you might enjoy Peter Jackson's other over-the-top comedy gorefest: Bad Taste where aliens are trying to harvest humans to supply their fast food franchise on their planet.

Furthermore, Hman is right that Japan may also have what you're looking for.

And what you are looking for is Wild Zero featuring the forever awesome Guitar Wolf.

Versus has gotten a lot of wildly different impressions, but most agree that its pretty action-packed.

I can't speak to Pink Force Commando, but a similar movie is The Machine Girl (2008). This may be a rip off of Pink Force as it features yet another Japanese school girl getting her arm hacked off and she replaces it with a Gatling gun. Highly violent and blood spewing.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
Hman wrote:

Dead Alive is highly recommended, but despite the action and over-the-top gore, at its heart its a love story about a guy with mommy issues. Really, really huge mommy issues. Not that it isn't a great recommendation, though. Its pretty damn terrific and, it gots zombies.

If, however, you liked the government conspiracy action of Planet Terror, you might enjoy Peter Jackson's other over-the-top comedy gorefest: Bad Taste where aliens are trying to harvest humans to supply their fast food franchise on their planet.

Furthermore, Hman is right that Japan may also have what you're looking for.

And what you are looking for is Wild Zero featuring the forever awesome Guitar Wolf.

Versus has gotten a lot of wildly different impressions, but most agree that its pretty action-packed.

I can't speak to Pink Force Commando, but a similar movie is The Machine Girl (2008). This may be a rip off of Pink Force as it features yet another Japanese school girl getting her arm hacked off and she replaces it with a Gatling gun. Highly violent and blood spewing.

Pink Force Commando is essentially spaghetti western with ninja, Chinese Nazi and KKK villains and Brigitte Lin with a Gatling Gun arm.

I personally haven't seen a negative review of Versus yet.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minya

Now these are stacking up in an awesome Japanese direction. I'm into that--thank you! Oddly, I remember reading somewhere that Rodriguez was way into Rolling Thunder as an influence for his grindhouse flick and that Machete Kills title reminds me of that Kill and Kill Again that I know I rented years ago, but have no idea if it was an influence over the film.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I think one of the soundtrack cues in Planet Terror was a John Carpenter-composed film score segment from Escape From New York, which also features a band of misfits thrown together by fate, surrounded and outnumbered by their foes at night.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:30 pm
Minya

I'm glad you mentioned the soundtrack cues. I've seen a lot of Carpenter's films, but not Escape from New York. I have the Planet Terror soundtrack mixed in with a lot of Carpenter music on a playlist and they flow so well together. That totally makes sense. I'll give Escape from New York a viewing real soon. Thank you.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Minya

I recently watched Escape from New York and Kurt Russell's character, Snake, would have fit in perfectly in Planet Terror. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I read that Rodriguez is starting "The El Rey Network," which will host original programming as well as grindhouse/cult films.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]