Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
help please 
Author Message
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am
Posts: 146
i remember watching a film when i was on a trip to usa
It was about some researchers who find dinosaws on a hidden island.they then find out there not the only people they meet up with the villian whos a bold man who has captured what are ment to be monkeys (i think) but are just people in brown rugs and someone gets poisoned and has to go inside a giant bee hive to get the antidot

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum!

"There coming to get you Barbara"


Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:02 pm
Profile
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
stevenrumm1 wrote:
i remember watching a film when i was on a trip to usa
It was about some researchers who find dinosaws on a hidden island.they then find out there not the only people they meet up with the villian whos a bold man who has captured what are ment to be monkeys (i think) but are just people in brown rugs and someone gets poisoned and has to go inside a giant bee hive to get the antidot


I think this may be Mysterious Island from 1961, with special effects by Harryhausen.

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:35 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4997
Location: Brighton, MI
That doesn't sound like Mysterious Island at all -- I have that one.

What more can you tell us about it? Approximate age of the movie? Names of anyone who appeared in it? B/w or color? How did they show the dinosaurs -- were they done by claymation, cartoons superimposed on the screen, guys in rubber monster suits, CGI, bluescreen, or stock footage of baby alligators with racing stripes painted on, fighting monitor lizards with horns and frills glued to their backs?

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6175
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
Cliffie wrote:
That doesn't sound like Mysterious Island at all -- I have that one.

I think it could be something else tangled up in memory with Mysterious Island, though, assuming we're talking about the 1961 version. "They find out they're not the only people there when they meet up with the villain" fairly accurately describes how Captain Nemo gets introduced, and Herbert Lom plays Nemo as if he should be the villain, even if he's actually the guy who's been saving the protagonists' asses ever since they got stranded on his island. Beyond that, making giant monsters is usually a villain's job, so I can see how memory could twist Nemo's role into villainy after many years. Mysterious Island also prominently features a hive of giant bees, although I no longer remember exactly what bearing they have on the plot. What Mysterious Island does not have are researchers, monkey-men in brown rugs, or dinosaurs specifically among its menagerie of giant monsters.

Hmm... Has anybody here seen the 1960 version of The Lost World? I know some of the elements Stevenrumm1 describes are present in the one from 1925, so they might have carried over into the remake.

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- Child's Play, Madman, Trick or Treat, and two different versions of She.


Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
El Santo wrote:
Cliffie wrote:
That doesn't sound like Mysterious Island at all -- I have that one.

I think it could be something else tangled up in memory with Mysterious Island, though, assuming we're talking about the 1961 version. "They find out they're not the only people there when they meet up with the villain" fairly accurately describes how Captain Nemo gets introduced, and Herbert Lom plays Nemo as if he should be the villain, even if he's actually the guy who's been saving the protagonists' asses ever since they got stranded on his island. Beyond that, making giant monsters is usually a villain's job, so I can see how memory could twist Nemo's role into villainy after many years. Mysterious Island also prominently features a hive of giant bees, although I no longer remember exactly what bearing they have on the plot. What Mysterious Island does not have are researchers, monkey-men in brown rugs, or dinosaurs specifically among its menagerie of giant monsters.

Hmm... Has anybody here seen the 1960 version of The Lost World? I know some of the elements Stevenrumm1 describes are present in the one from 1925, so they might have carried over into the remake.

I have seen it a couple of times. I don't recall anything with monkey-men, despite their being tribal types around, nor anything about a villain exploiting them; definitely no giant bees, as it's all lizards in Hallowe'en costumes for that one. Well, that and an embiggened tarantula. Also on a plateau, not an island. I don't think that's the movie.

(Weirdly enough, I very recently saw an episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" that featured an island full of dinosaurs...and they were all populated with the Lost World fakeosaurs. Nice recycling, Mr. Allen.)



------------------------------
Having said that, I have no idea what this movie is.


Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:38 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4997
Location: Brighton, MI
The Rev. D.D. wrote:
What Mysterious Island does not have are researchers, monkey-men in brown rugs, or dinosaurs specifically among its menagerie of giant monsters.

Hmm... Has anybody here seen the 1960 version of The Lost World? I know some of the elements Stevenrumm1 describes are present in the one from 1925, so they might have carried over into the remake.

Quote:
I have seen it a couple of times. I don't recall anything with monkey-men, despite their being tribal types around, nor anything about a villain exploiting them; definitely no giant bees, as it's all lizards in Hallowe'en costumes for that one. Well, that and an embiggened tarantula. Also on a plateau, not an island. I don't think that's the movie.

(Weirdly enough, I very recently saw an episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" that featured an island full of dinosaurs...and they were all populated with the Lost World fakeosaurs. Nice recycling, Mr. Allen.)

------------------------------
Having said that, I have no idea what this movie is.


That's what I was thinking -- no monkey men, and nobody got poisoned. I sure don't remember anyone's keester getting saved because of a jaunt INSIDE the bees' nest.

I have THE LOST WORLD at home and can review it to see, but I am not thinking it matches stevenrumm's description.

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:48 pm
Posts: 299
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
<de-lurk>

It kinda sounds like an early episode of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World: The Series.

<re-lurk>

_________________
--William T. Goat, Esq.

Chicks dig the hooves.


Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy