Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
GAPPA the trifibian terror 
Author Message
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am
Posts: 146
ok so i picked up this dvd the slogan is bigger and badder then godzilla. First off the bat the front cover shows a standing red eyed green lizzard monster with scaley skin and the screen clips are in colour but my dvd is in black and white and the monster is a massive bird who shoots gammer rays out of its mouth. Has anybody else seen it ?

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum!

"There coming to get you Barbara"


Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:04 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
I saw Gappa the Triphibian Monster under its original US title Monster from a Prehistoric Planet. I personally consider it to one of the low points in giant monster cinema, but I know others will feel differently.

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am
Posts: 146
Hman wrote:
I saw Gappa the Triphibian Monster under its original US title Monster from a Prehistoric Planet. I personally consider it to one of the low points in giant monster cinema, but I know others will feel differently.



That film really sucked it was a waste of time really. The bloke so i brought it off was telling me its really good and that theres a follow up but im not gunna hold my breath that its any better

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum!

"There coming to get you Barbara"


Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm
Profile
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
Hman wrote:
I saw Gappa the Triphibian Monster under its original US title Monster from a Prehistoric Planet. I personally consider it to one of the low points in giant monster cinema, but I know others will feel differently.


Who are these people? It's pretty lame, although I like the monster design.



-------------------
I've only bothered to watch it once, which for a giant monster movie is almost unheard of.


Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:46 pm
Posts: 3262
Location: Deutschland
Gappa. Gappa angry. Gappa. Gappa angry.

_________________
"CITIZEN SNIIIIIPS!" - Theodore Roosevelt's Head
"When the Hulkster comes to Heaven, we'll tag up again" - "Hulkster in Heaven"
"Pustulio Rocks!" - Invader ZIM
"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci


Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:56 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6168
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
stevenrumm1 wrote:
my dvd is in black and white

What the hell? Why would a black and white print of Gappa even exist? It was in color when Nikkatsu released it to theaters, and the 16mm prints that AIP-TV struck for broadcast on English-speaking television were in color, too. You've given me a mystery to solve. Which label released your DVD?

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- The Belko Experiment, Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, and a whole lot more!


Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:41 pm
Posts: 9382
Location: Carlisle, Kentucky
I love the theme song very much.

_________________
Oh yeah, down here, I am considered the apotheosis of cool - Sewer Urchin

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks


Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:19 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Connecticut USA
If I am not mistaken, wasn't this a rip-off of Gorgo? A far better movie that should be shown every Mother's day.

_________________
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: "Winston you are drunk...disgustingly drunk!"
Winston Churchill to Lady Astor: "Madam you're fat...disgustingly fat. And tomorrow, I'll be sober."


Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am
Posts: 6168
Location: In the orbit of Baltimore, Maryland
Snurt64 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, wasn't this a rip-off of Gorgo? A far better movie that should be shown every Mother's day.

The makers of Gappa claimed never to have seen Gorgo, but I don't think I believe them.

_________________
Now at 1000 Misspent Hours and Counting-- The Belko Experiment, Get Out, Kong: Skull Island, and a whole lot more!


Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Interestingly enough, the Steve Miner screenplay for the 1980s American Godzilla film gave Godzilla a Gorgo motive in searching for his offspring. Alas, it's dead by the time he finds it in San Francisco, which results in SF getting torched (more than it already had been).

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
El Santo wrote:
Snurt64 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, wasn't this a rip-off of Gorgo? A far better movie that should be shown every Mother's day.

The makers of Gappa claimed never to have seen Gorgo, but I don't think I believe them.

That one is up there with the makers of Friday the 13th Part 2 claiming they never saw Bay of Blood, isn't it?

I never got that. So you're ripping off Bava. At least you're not ripping off, say, Jerry Warren or something.



----------------------
Steal from the best, right?


Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:08 am
Posts: 146
El Santo wrote:
stevenrumm1 wrote:
my dvd is in black and white

What the hell? Why would a black and white print of Gappa even exist? It was in color when Nikkatsu released it to theaters, and the 16mm prints that AIP-TV struck for broadcast on English-speaking television were in color, too. You've given me a mystery to solve. Which label released your DVD?


Its released on 23rd century

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum!

"There coming to get you Barbara"


Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:50 am
Posts: 6174
Location: Somerville, MA
The Rev. D.D. wrote:
El Santo wrote:
Snurt64 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, wasn't this a rip-off of Gorgo? A far better movie that should be shown every Mother's day.

The makers of Gappa claimed never to have seen Gorgo, but I don't think I believe them.

That one is up there with the makers of Friday the 13th Part 2 claiming they never saw Bay of Blood, isn't it?

I never got that. So you're ripping off Bava. At least you're not ripping off, say, Jerry Warren or something.



----------------------
Steal from the best, right?


And if you can't steal from the best, steal from crap like Gorgo.

_________________
"Professor of Evil! and Libraries! and EVIL LIBRARIES!"- Telstar

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ


Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:44 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: London, Ontario
ProfessorMortis wrote:
And if you can't steal from the best, steal from crap like Gorgo.

And Jaws 3 pretty much ripped off Gorgo.

_________________
End of Line

Read my reviews at Mana Pop.


Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Destoroyah
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Dallas, TX, or thereabouts
Movie Mike wrote:
ProfessorMortis wrote:
And if you can't steal from the best, steal from crap like Gorgo.

And Jaws 3 pretty much ripped off Gorgo.

PM: Gorgo, crap? I beg to differ, my good sir. Well, okay, it's slow going for the most part, but the end is superb. Definitely better than Gappa.

MM: Yeah, pretty much.



-----------------------
This is the most I've ever thought about Gappa!


Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy