Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
GAPPA the trifibian terror 
Burning Godzilla

I saw this one at the behest of Molotov, a BMMB member emeritus. "Badder than Godzilla" the Gappas are not. There is much to like about this movie in its cheesy, rubber-suited badness, however.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The Rev. D.D. wrote:

PM: Gorgo, crap? I beg to differ, my good sir. Well, okay, it's slow going for the most part, but the end is superb. Definitely better than Gappa.

I've never been able to watch Gorgo all the way through. Maybe that's a personal failing. I have, meanwhile, watched all of Gappa.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

I watched it again and i have noticed the man in the baby gappas suit you can clearly aee his angry little face towards the end when hes in the cage

"There coming to get you Barbara"

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:33 pm
Destoroyah

ProfessorMortis wrote:
The Rev. D.D. wrote:

PM: Gorgo, crap? I beg to differ, my good sir. Well, okay, it's slow going for the most part, but the end is superb. Definitely better than Gappa.

I've never been able to watch Gorgo all the way through. Maybe that's a personal failing. I have, meanwhile, watched all of Gappa.

Huh. I'm surprised you made it through the worse movie of those two. The ending of Gorgo is really some great monster stompin' action. If nothing else, fast-forward to the momma rising from the Thames to kick ass and go from there.

--------------------
I feel like I should give Gappa a second chance after all this discussion...

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 pm
Burning Godzilla

My message contains too few characters.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Last edited by Cliffie on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

stevenrumm1 wrote:
El Santo wrote:
stevenrumm1 wrote:
my dvd is in black and white

What the hell? Why would a black and white print of Gappa even exist? It was in color when Nikkatsu released it to theaters, and the 16mm prints that AIP-TV struck for broadcast on English-speaking television were in color, too. You've given me a mystery to solve. Which label released your DVD?

Its released on 23rd century

A little research reveals that 23rd Century is a British company with a questionable reputation (some people call them bootleggers.) Maybe they just took a cheap copy off a black and white TV.

Amazon.co.uk has a used copy of this item for sale. No info listed as to whether it's in black and white or color.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gappa-Trifibian-Terror-Haruyasu-Noguchi/dp/B003549ZI6

Nifty cover art. I wonder if it was stolen from something else.

P.S. The spelling "Trifibian" (instead of "Triphibian") seems to only show up on this DVD, as well as being a product description for various foreign language versions of the movie poster (which don't contain this word at all.)

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm
Burning Godzilla

Wow, that cover looks far more exciting than the film we actually got.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:

Man, it's up there with Tremors and Deep Shock in terms of inaccurate cover depiction of the monster!

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Hman wrote:

Man, it's up there with Tremors and Deep Shock in terms of inaccurate cover depiction of the monster!

The Tremors cover is completely accurate except with regard to size-- it's just that it depicts one of the heads at the ends of a Graboid's tongues so as to preserve the surprise that the snake-like creatures we see at first aren't the entire monster.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
Hman wrote:

The Tremors cover is completely accurate except with regard to size-- it's just that it depicts one of the heads at the ends of a Graboid's tongues so as to preserve the surprise that the snake-like creatures we see at first aren't the entire monster.

Oh man, you're right! Thanks, I had never noticed that before--the ancillary hooks that are the dead giveaway are the exact same color as the background, so they were absent in my memory of the poster, but looking at it now, there they are.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 am
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Hman wrote:

I have had many moments of secret pleasure picturing the looks on the faces of the Deep Shock cast when they finally saw the monsters pasted into their reaction shots. Many more moments of pleasure than you can get from simply watching the movie itself.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2