Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Cozzilla 
Godzilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 am
Burning Godzilla

Juniejune wrote:

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm
Godzilla

Never seen this version, but a couple summers ago I was in Rome and visited the bookstore Cozzi co-owns with Dario Argento. Real friendly guy, fluent in English, loves talking with movie buffs. He also did Hercules with Lou Ferrigno! Some U.S. distributors bill him as Lewis Coates...

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.

Why would he destroy a factory that makes something he loves? That's just silly. He might buy the world a coke though.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 am
Godzilla

Necrosorrow wrote:
Never seen this version, but a couple summers ago I was in Rome and visited the bookstore Cozzi co-owns with Dario Argento. Real friendly guy, fluent in English, loves talking with movie buffs. He also did Hercules with Lou Ferrigno! Some U.S. distributors bill him as Lewis Coates...

There's a lot more about this guy than I know about. I've heard about this store, sounds great!

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 am
Burning Godzilla

There was fascinating bit about him in the Alien Contamination review at Will Laughlin's Braineater website. Apparently Cozzi was a very talented director of giallo films who one day decided that it was his calling to do sci-fi. Then his career went completely off the rails from there on out.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Juniejune wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:

Why would he destroy a factory that makes something he loves? That's just silly. He might buy the world a coke though.

I just wanted to say this is the funniest thing I have read all week. And it's been a very funny week.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra

MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:

Yes, I was hoping for a monster ape-reptile in a sweater, raping buildings and, later, helpless jaegers sent to stop him.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:22 pm
Minya

SciFiJapan had an interview with Luigi Cuzzi about his colorized version of Godzilla awhile back:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... igi-cozzi/

Has some nice screen caps, & pics of marketing materials.

Apparently Mr. Cuzzi had a business re-releasing older sci-fi movies. He got the rights to Godzilla, but no distributor would take a black & white movie, so he tried to colorize it using colored gels & stop motion. Worked as a test bed for the stop motion scenes in his later films.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]