Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Cozzilla 
Author Message
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 498
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.


Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 11:46 pm
Posts: 3262
Location: Deutschland
Juniejune wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.

_________________
"CITIZEN SNIIIIIPS!" - Theodore Roosevelt's Head
"When the Hulkster comes to Heaven, we'll tag up again" - "Hulkster in Heaven"
"Pustulio Rocks!" - Invader ZIM
"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci


Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:13 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Limbo
Never seen this version, but a couple summers ago I was in Rome and visited the bookstore Cozzi co-owns with Dario Argento. Real friendly guy, fluent in English, loves talking with movie buffs. He also did Hercules with Lou Ferrigno! Some U.S. distributors bill him as Lewis Coates...


Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 498
MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.

Why would he destroy a factory that makes something he loves? That's just silly. He might buy the world a coke though.


Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 am
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 498
Necrosorrow wrote:
Never seen this version, but a couple summers ago I was in Rome and visited the bookstore Cozzi co-owns with Dario Argento. Real friendly guy, fluent in English, loves talking with movie buffs. He also did Hercules with Lou Ferrigno! Some U.S. distributors bill him as Lewis Coates...

There's a lot more about this guy than I know about. I've heard about this store, sounds great!


Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 am
Profile
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
There was fascinating bit about him in the Alien Contamination review at Will Laughlin's Braineater website. Apparently Cozzi was a very talented director of giallo films who one day decided that it was his calling to do sci-fi. Then his career went completely off the rails from there on out.

_________________
I wrote a book!

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985


Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:48 am
Posts: 4966
Location: Brighton, MI
Juniejune wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.

Why would he destroy a factory that makes something he loves? That's just silly. He might buy the world a coke though.


I just wanted to say this is the funniest thing I have read all week. And it's been a very funny week.

_________________
Guy in bar: "I got 50 dollars in my pocket saying you're coming home with me tonight."
Girl in bar: "They're lying to you."
(from Psychos In Love)

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!


Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Mothra
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am
Posts: 161
MegaLemur wrote:
Juniejune wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJd5oouZ3s

This is new to me. Apparently a fellow by the name of Luigi Cuzzi (the guy who directed STARCRASH. WOW!), in anticipation of the King Kong remake, released an Italian version of the 1954 Godzilla that was colorized.

Not only that, but he incorporated additional scenes of destruction into the movie, including actual footage of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Class act right there.

I'm disappointed that this post wasn't about a sweater-wearing Godzilla dispensing fatherly wisdom while destroying a Jell-O factory.


Yes, I was hoping for a monster ape-reptile in a sweater, raping buildings and, later, helpless jaegers sent to stop him.

_________________
Kaijumatic: Giant Monsters of Film


Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:22 pm
Profile
Minya

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 21
SciFiJapan had an interview with Luigi Cuzzi about his colorized version of Godzilla awhile back:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... igi-cozzi/

Has some nice screen caps, & pics of marketing materials.

Apparently Mr. Cuzzi had a business re-releasing older sci-fi movies. He got the rights to Godzilla, but no distributor would take a black & white movie, so he tried to colorize it using colored gels & stop motion. Worked as a test bed for the stop motion scenes in his later films.


Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy