This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Interminable Impertinence 
Burning Godzilla

Not to be impertinent, but when Mr. Meiks walks into the FBI office at the beginning of Frailty, he asks to speak to the guy in charge of the Hand of God murders. The conversation that comprises the rest of the story makes very clear that the Hand of God Killer has never been identified, there is no proof that any crimes have been committed, and none of the bodies has been found. Ever. So how IS there a guy in charge of the Hand of God murders? What the heck is he investigating?

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Star Trek 2 impertinences:

It's already obvious that the death of Spock has had a devastating effect on the Captain and crew of the Enterprise, even drawing tears from the vulcan Lt. Saavik - which makes me grateful the movie was released in the early 1980s. Can you imagine the fanboy screeching over that? - however, in Kirk's brief eulogy over his recently deceased friend, why would he, once again, persist in insulting his friend's memory by referring to him as almost "Human"? Hell, even in the original series, Spock commented on how insulting that term is in reference to him. Is Kirk that homo-sapio-centric?

"Inalienable HUMAN rights. The very expression is racist.".....

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:

It's already obvious that the death of Spock has had a devastating effect on the Captain and crew of the Enterprise, even drawing tears from the vulcan Lt. Saavik - which makes me grateful the movie was released in the early 1980s. Can you imagine the fanboy screeching over that? - however, in Kirk's brief eulogy over his recently deceased friend, why would he, once again, persist in insulting his friend's memory by referring to him as almost "Human"? Hell, even in the original series, Spock commented on how insulting that term is in reference to him. Is Kirk that homo-sapio-centric?

That's a very popular "Wait, what?" moment among the fanbase. Along with "Why did Scotty carry his nephew's body onto the bridge instead of to the medical bay?"

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 pm
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

That's a very popular "Wait, what?" moment among the fanbase. Along with "Why did Scotty carry his nephew's body onto the bridge instead of to the medical bay?"

Because it was too late for sick bay, and this way he could confront Kirk with the tragedy for maximum dramatic effect.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
Mr. Paradox wrote:
Bergerjacques wrote:

Because it was too late for sick bay, and this way he could confront Kirk with the tragedy for maximum dramatic effect.

Assuming I fully understand what this impertinence stuff is all about, my favorite bit in that movie is the scene in which Khan talks about how there is an old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold. Since Khan had been stuck on a remote planet for well over a decade, how would he possibly know anything about the Klingons or their proverbs?

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Fornax wrote:
Assuming I fully understand what this impertinence stuff is all about, my favorite bit in that movie is the scene in which Khan talks about how there is an old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold. Since Khan had been stuck on a remote planet for well over a decade, how would he possibly know anything about the Klingons or their proverbs?

Well observed. If one were to adhere strictly to the series, Khan would have been frozen in space while the Klingons showed up and never met them after his exile since Seti Alpha 6 blew up only a few months after Khan's group settled on 5.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just assume Kirk left them a library.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Maybe he just looked it up in the Reliant's database?

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:24 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:

Well, there is that panning shot across his bookshelf...

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:18 am
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:
supersonic man wrote:

Well, there is that panning shot across his bookshelf...

That book of Shakespeare in the original Klingon, of course!

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:

Or the Enterprise's. Khan spent most of Space Seed's second act speed-reading everything he could get from the ship's memory banks. That line about the Klingon proverb did strike me as peculiar, though-- almost as peculiar as Khan recognizing Chekhov even though Chekhov wasn't part of the bridge crew yet, and might not even have been aboard the ship at all. (Walter Koenig didn't join the cast until the second season, but because Chekhov never got an introductory episode, it's possible to fanwank something about him having simply been assigned to a different duty roster during the preceding year.)

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Impertinent question re: Star Trek-Beyond. Did anybody else find it amazing that Kirk found the only extended gravel road in that entire area of the planet of pointy, pointy rocks? Or that someone happened to have sneaked a classic gasoline-powered motorcycle aboard the USS Franklin. Actually, the fact that Kirk drove a motorcycle along a gravel road on another planet did not strike me as nearly as unbelievable as the jagged rocky landscape of the planet. It seemed hardly logical that anyone would have selected that specific area in which to eke out an existence.

Nevertheless, I was entertained for the time I watched it. But it's lapses will eventually weigh on me. There is not the least bit of thought that went into how this new nemesis species of people developed, despite how cool I find Idris Elba.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

Or the Enterprise's. Khan spent most of Space Seed's second act speed-reading everything he could get from the ship's memory banks. That line about the Klingon proverb did strike me as peculiar, though-- almost as peculiar as Khan recognizing Chekhov even though Chekhov wasn't part of the bridge crew yet, and might not even have been aboard the ship at all. (Walter Koenig didn't join the cast until the second season, but because Chekhov never got an introductory episode, it's possible to fanwank something about him having simply been assigned to a different duty roster during the preceding year.)

Ricardo Montelban always joked that while Khan was on the Enterprise, he went to the bathroom after Chekhov and found he'd used the last of the toilet paper, leading to him swearing vengence.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:42 pm
Godzilla

Spoilers for Star Trek Beyond and V for Vendetta

Bergerjacques wrote:
Impertinent question re: Star Trek-Beyond. Did anybody else find it amazing that Kirk found the only extended gravel road in that entire area of the planet of pointy, pointy rocks?

Yeah, that took me out of it completely. Especially because riding like that, even on earth, on a real road, would probably already be like playing Russian roulette as it is (not that I would know, but I assume).

I also had no idea how anyone could figure out who Krall was just based on that one video clip. Was it supposed to be because of his voice? Or did I miss something?

Also, why, in the middle of a deep space mission to go where no one has gone before, would they suddenly loop back to an outpost so cosmopolitan, so well-traveled, so apparently close to the heart of the federation, that even Sulu's family would be there for a Sunday stroll? Deep space transporters?

V for Vendetta: I love this movie. But ....

V makes a big deal of the painful choice he faced bringing Evey back to his home, knowing he was dooming her to imprisonment for a year, but also knowing that if he left her there, she'd be arrested, interrogated, tortured, and killed. If that decision was so anguishing, then why did he invite her to be his guest at the rooftop view of the destruction of the old Bailey when there must have been surveillance cameras everywhere?

At the end of the second act, something happens that triggers Evey to have a complete freakout and her first asthma attack since she was a child. Oh so that one moment did it, but all the months leading up to that point did not?

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

You can file this under 'pre-emptive impertinence...'

Here's the byline for the upcoming Tom Hanks/Clint Eastwood (director) film Sully:

"Without engine power and no airport within range, Sully is forced to land his ill-fated airliner in the frigid waters of the Hudson River. With 155 passengers and crew on board, Sully, against all odds, successfully ditches the aircraft and is dubbed a "hero." But soon after, Sully's life is invaded by reporters and investigators who force Sully to put his job, family and reputation on the line." (emphasis added)

In other words, they are trying to cast Sully as another Richard Jewel. Yet nothing I can find via Google search supports this characterization - every account indicates Sully and crew were feted non-stop for weeks after the event.

What gives here? Is this just Eastwood being Hollywood?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next