Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Dracula's laugh 
Godzilla

So I'm on this kick where I'm trying to unearth as many old Halloween or horror-themed novelty songs that I can. There seem to be reoccurring themes through these songs, like the silent music villain's theme mentioned in another post. And then there is Dracula's laugh that can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDP7TMewkk

This is something I clearly recognize. The Count from Sesame Street, The Cool Ghoul from 'Dinner with Drac', etc, they all do a variation of this same laugh. But I don't recall Lugosi having a laugh like this.

Is this one of those 'Play it Again, Sam' things where people attribute an evil laugh to Dracula that never actually existed in the movies? And if so, who was the first person to do this? How far can it be traced back?

This may be like the Villain's Theme where it's something I've always known but never questioned.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 am
Burning Godzilla

I'm pretty sure I never heard anything like that from Lugosi. Or Lee.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

supersonic man wrote:
I'm pretty sure I never heard anything like that from Lugosi.

Definitely not as Dracula (unless maybe he does it in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which I haven't seen since I was a kid). It does kind of sound like a laugh that Lugosi could produce, though. I wonder if maybe it's something he did in one of the serials where he played the villain (The Phantom Creeps, for example), and it got transposed onto Dracula in the popular imagination by mistake?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
supersonic man wrote:
I'm pretty sure I never heard anything like that from Lugosi.

Definitely not as Dracula (unless maybe he does it in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which I haven't seen since I was a kid). It does kind of sound like a laugh that Lugosi could produce, though. I wonder if maybe it's something he did in one of the serials where he played the villain (The Phantom Creeps, for example), and it got transposed onto Dracula in the popular imagination by mistake?

I watched Abbot and Costello this Halloween, do not recall a laugh. The idea of Drac's cape comes from vaudeville, maybe the laugh was carried over as well- just typically bad guy stuff. But like I said, this is a distinct Dracula laugh. Maybe your right about the Phantom Creeps type stuff. All I know is that even though the evil laugh is a familiar cliche, there is a very distinct Dracula laugh that seems to have been around since maybe the late 50s that I know of.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 am
Burning Godzilla

This is just the kind of question I love and adore. While I know the movie association with that laugh is with the Count, in person I associate that laugh with Karloff. But that doesn't mean I can come up with a single instance of him ever producing a laugh like that in any context.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I am so dumb. That's Vincent Price's laugh, blown up into a cartoon! I think he even used it in one of his last pictures, Dead Heat. Her certainly used it in the "Thriller" video.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Cliffie wrote:
I am so dumb. That's Vincent Price's laugh, blown up into a cartoon! I think he even used it in one of his last pictures, Dead Heat. Her certainly used it in the "Thriller" video.

I just listened to that song...I didn't hear the "Thriller" laugh in there at all. The laugh was a bit different at the end of the song from the rest of it, and I suppose that could be construed as Price-esque, but honestly I think it's just some "spooky" laugh they made up for that song.

--------------------
Just one man's opinion.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 pm
Burning Godzilla

That's the last sound you hear in that song. And it's definitely St. Vincent's own voice. Wait, are you saying the movie the OP is asking about isn't Price? That, I knew.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Maybe its Renfield's laugh that has been transposed to Dracula. Dwight Frye's laugh is so distinctive that it has had imitators, most notably by Arte Johnson, playing Renfield, in the comedy "Love at First Bite."

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minya

There's nothing under that name by anyone I know of and I'm a pretty big horror buff...sorry

Fri May 03, 2013 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

MackyPuncher wrote:
There's nothing under that name by anyone I know of and I'm a pretty big horror buff...sorry

Sorry kitty, I'm not sure what name you are referring to.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]