Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Best Introduction to Godzilla/Kaiju for a 4 year old? 
Burning Godzilla

Reptilicus. If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for any newbie in the field of giant monsters.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Well, due to it being readily available on Netflix, I went with Godzilla's Revenge for my son's intro to kaiju, and it went so-so at best. The context of it probably played a part, as I put it on to staunch the flow of Power Rangers that he'd been watching this week. He pouted at the thought of no more Power Rangers, but he perked up once the monsters came on. Unfortunately the Kenny-based story was just too slow and ended up breaking his concentration. I think I'm going to have to get him into one mid-monster action. I can't imagine he'll be able to resist it.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Next time, try Infra Man. And I seriously doubt he would get tired of Final Wars.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I dunno about Final Wars -- so much yip yap and such short, even miniaturized fights. I would suggest Goji 1985 or Goji vs the Smog Monster -- way more action.

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Cliffie wrote:
I dunno about Final Wars -- so much yip yap and such short, even miniaturized fights. I would suggest Goji 1985 or Goji vs the Smog Monster -- way more action.

No, Final Wars all the way if it's weaning off of Power Rangers. And Cliffie, I was utterly terrified of both your suggestions even as an 8-year-old, I doubt I could handle them any younger.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

No, Final Wars all the way if it's weaning off of Power Rangers. And Cliffie, I was utterly terrified of both your suggestions even as an 8-year-old, I doubt I could handle them any younger.

The discovery of the dead bodies on the ship in G 1985 is one of the scariest images of my childhood.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

The discovery of the dead bodies on the ship in G 1985 is one of the scariest images of my childhood.

Yeah, the Smog Monster definitely scarred me in my single digit years.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Hman wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

The victim-eye views of Godzilla stepping on people gave me one of the more vivid nightmares of my entire life. The dead guy and the bug spooked me, then my "Cool!" response kicked in. The stomping thing, for some reason, really dug into my young psyche.

------------------
It seems like the only dreams I remember are the really bad nightmares.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

After I was off living my life for a while I realized I was thinking of Goji 2000, not the 1985 incarnation when I originally wrote my post. But I stand by Smoggy. I first saw that in second grade and it was really too young for me then. And I was pretty immature.

Destroy All Monsters would be pretty cool, too. Because Minya gets to help kick Ghidrah's butt. Butts. And it's an early lesson in movie logic; if Varan and Baragon are on Monster Island, why don't they get to destroy a major city? And what kind of Japanese newscaster worth his brilliantine can't tell Baragon from Gorosaurus, daddy? And why do they have Mothra on Monster Island instead of Infant Island? And since when does Mothra avoid the yellow fog as if he were Ebirah, daddy?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Cliffie wrote:

I saw The Smog Monster when I was 3-5 and the disintegrating bodies and other scary stuff went right over my head. I think a 4 year old might be okay with it. Meanwhile, I saw 1985 when I was 8, and getting through that creature on the ship was one of those "you're becoming more able to see scary stuff" kind of moments for me. Definitely too much for a 4 year old.

I got introduced to them all by being in the room when my brother watched them...I think I generally zoned out or was playing during the non-monster parts. Not sure how that works with kids, but I recall the Destroy All Monsters, Gigan, Mechagodzilla entries from the late 60s and 70s were my faves.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Reviving a really old thread that recently became relevant in my life again, as my younger son is 4 and 1/2 now and his older brother (who is 8 and 1/2 now) recently became interested in giant monster movies. Danny, my oldest, became enamored with King Ghidorah after seeing him in a YouTube video, so I set out to find a movie that both boys could enjoy, and I remembered this thread from so long ago. After reviewing this (particularly Mud Puppy's excellent breakdown) I went with Destroy All Monsters, and it was a hit! They immediately begged to watch another, so we started Godzilla vs Space Godzilla before bedtime tonight, and even with subtitles that the 4 year old needed read to him it was an even bigger hit! I couldn't be more excited. If anyone has a lead on a cheap boxset or collection of region 1 dvds, let me know. I think this could be a KO boys tradition in the making.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
Reviving a really old thread that recently became relevant in my life again, as my younger son is 4 and 1/2 now and his older brother (who is 8 and 1/2 now) recently became interested in giant monster movies. Danny, my oldest, became enamored with King Ghidorah after seeing him in a YouTube video, so I set out to find a movie that both boys could enjoy, and I remembered this thread from so long ago. After reviewing this (particularly Mud Puppy's excellent breakdown) I went with Destroy All Monsters, and it was a hit! They immediately begged to watch another, so we started Godzilla vs Space Godzilla before bedtime tonight, and even with subtitles that the 4 year old needed read to him it was an even bigger hit! I couldn't be more excited. If anyone has a lead on a cheap boxset or collection of region 1 dvds, let me know. I think this could be a KO boys tradition in the making.

Perhaps this and this?

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:

But isn't that the entire, exact goal here? :twisted:

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Hman wrote:
KO Rob wrote:

Perhaps this and this?

I saw those too. Hoping to find something cheaper and more comprehensive on eBay.

In the meantime, I've dug into my modest giant monster movie collection, and from Rodan, Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Mothra, King Kong Escapes, and King Kong vs Godzilla, they chose the latter for tonight (sidenote: I decided the original Godzilla and The Terror of Mechagodzilla might be too much for the 4 y.o.). Hopefully the sight of Kong being airlifted to battle by circus balloons won't derail their suspension of disbelief.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

At age 4? I doubt it. But the wife? She may see through the logical gaps.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next