Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Santa Claus 
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
El Santo wrote:
I think Krampus is mostly an Austrian thing, but I may be mistaken about that. In any case, he's terrific. I made Krampus cards to give out at Christmas one year.

Originally Austrian, but it's become extremely popular in Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic as well, with thousands of people attending "Krampus Day" celebrations in early December.

Which makes all the sense in the world, given that Hungary and the Czech Republic were politically united with Austria until the end of World War I in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, while the majority-Catholic parts of southern Germany were part of the Austrian sphere of cultural influence until the completion of German unification in 1870.

BVH is familiar with it through her father's side, which is German and Swisse Deutsche, with the Swisse Deutsche side being the dominant cultural influence.

"You know somewhere a Hollywood exec is going, "I've got a great idea for a remake, we'll take Night of the Living Dead only instead of the the living dead it'll be zombies! Zombies are so it right now!"" - Juniper.

"Conclusion: Mort should be dead right now. Or Mort is the living dead. Or the inspiration for the Bruce Willis character in Unbreakable."-BJ

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Kenny

Santa Claus is originated from Virginia? :O
some one say that it's originated from United kingdom or America.
Totally mess.........

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:57 pm
Mothra

my kids asked me this question so i took them to there room went up to the attic and got out santa claws and the ice cream bunny (please watch the trailor)

They no longer ask me questions

"There coming to get you Barbara"

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:05 pm
Godzilla

Well Beebiya, that is a wonderful question that really deserves for us all to take the time to reflect upon the complex nature of-

you're not reading any of this, are you?

You just posted your question to try to get us to look at your samurai link, right?

D'OH!!!!!! :x

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:52 am
Burning Godzilla

El Santo wrote:
I think Krampus is mostly an Austrian thing, but I may be mistaken about that. In any case, he's terrific. I made Krampus cards to give out at Christmas one year.

A while back I read a book full of weird Xmas cards from the old days (and some were really weird -- paintings of dead animals and such) that included some Krampus cards. The oddest one may have been a depiction of Krampus as a rather attractive young woman, despite her long, demonic tongue and switches to beat bad children with. It seemed rather like a 19th century dominiatrix.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2