Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
Video Games: Overclocked 
Burning Godzilla

New games topic, titled as Eva wanted.

I passed on Dragon Age: Origins when it came out, but recently I picked up the Ultimate Edition though. I've never played a Bioware RPG before--I am loving this. I'll have to get Knights of the Old Republic when I've finished this.

Professor Mortis: "By parroting nonsense .... you're embracing bullshit."
Bergerjacques: "America, America,
God Shed his Grace on Thee
And Crowned Thy Good...."

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Aw Esc, I'm touched!

I've wanted to play Dragon Age because lots of people I know've been hyping in, but I'm a bit scared too since thought I did manage to beat Mass Effect, I found it so...incredibly...dull, and I felt really turned off by the story-telling method, which felt less like a "visual novel" style and more like a straight-up, impersonal mad-libs .

But...I've heard that DA does play a little differently and I tend to be a bit a lot more receptive to epic fantasy rather than hard sci-fi, so I'm sure I'll be giving it a chance down the line eventually.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

I haven't played Dragon Age because I don't have 100 hours to devote to a non-DS game, but I loved and highly recommend KOTOR. It was the first thing in years that made me say, "Oh yeah, I actually like Star Wars!"

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 am
Burning Godzilla

Dragon Age isn't a 100 hour game; people just say that because they play it more than once, or do every sidequest, or add on the DLC and expansion to those hours. If you just play the main story, it's probably 35-40 (or less), which is shorter than a J-RPG would be.

On KOTOR: I would love to feel that way about Star Wars again.

Eva: I haven't played Mass Effect, so I can't compare. Apparently people were mad because Dragon Age 2 took a lot of notes from Mass Effect and felt it was a betrayal from the first game--I have no idea. But I'm having a lot of fun seeing what parts of the origins matter, and then going back to them, changing things. The characters are mostly interesting too. Since my fiancee and I are each playing, we're getting to see just how much little choices cause the game to diverge, even in places you think they're inconsequential (unlike, unfortunately, Heavy Rain where I noticed in going through that my choices and actions didn't seem to matter a whole lot). Class and background seem to matter less than gender and race it seems.

It's an interesting game. I passed on it because it didn't sound very interesting and its size did sound intimidating, but I picked it up on a whim and I came to love it within a few hours.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Thanks for the info, Esc. I'll consider it.

In shocking news, Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP has been edited...by the Japanese!?

Hitler (Who yes, is an actual antagonist in this game...technically) has been given sunglasses and had his named "changed" to "The Fuhrer".

You know...to disguise the fact that he's Hitler.

Actually this may not be as dumb as it sounds if Atlus plans to release the game in PAL regions, what with the whole "No-Swashtikas thing" in Germany, while at the same time putting in the bare minimum of effort necessary as if to say, "Yeah, we're not really going to hide how silly the whole thing is..."

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:54 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:

In shocking news, Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP has been edited...by the Japanese!?

Hitler (Who yes, is an actual antagonist in this game...technically) has been given sunglasses and had his named "changed" to "The Fuhrer".

Oh, there's nothing about this that isn't great. It's like Weekend at Bernie's 3: Weekend at Hitler's!

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 pm
Burning Godzilla

Portal 2 - I don't recall seeing this much hype for the original...the new version appears to give you a computer controlled cooperative partner?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Burning Godzilla

On Innocent Sin: Hey, if it means they bring it to America this time, they can change him to "Master D" for all I care.

In other news: Despite being stuck on the Dr. Cid fight and not sure how to win any of the optional boss battles I have open, I am still having a surprisingly good time with Final Fantasy XII.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

Oh, there's nothing about this that isn't great. It's like Weekend at Bernie's 3: Weekend at Hitler's!

The only thing that would make it better if the sunglasses were actually tiny sunglasses that were placed over his mustache.

"Every moment David Arquette isn't being eaten by a giant, mutant spider, the baby Jesus cries." - MegaLemur

"So! They laugh at my boner, will they?!" - The Joker

"AACHH! MEIN PRECIOUS JUGULAR!" - Uwe Boll

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm
Site Admin

Charnelhouse wrote:
Portal 2 - I don't recall seeing this much hype for the original...the new version appears to give you a computer controlled cooperative partner?

...Um, there was no hype for the original because no one knew what the hell it was. But it was awesome. Thus, hype for the sequel! Which I've only played for an hour or so far, but it is pretty terrific, and even funnier than part one. Highly recommended. (I have not seen any computer controlled cooperative partner, although there is a two-player co-op mode.)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

The first one had after-hype, if you wanna call it that.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Escushion wrote:

Isn't that usually called "word of mouth"?

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:13 am
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:
Escushion wrote:

Isn't that usually called "word of mouth"?

Well, this speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOzzd53ssY

"and Patty Duke as a whackadoodle schizophrenic man-killing were-spider from the Palisades": 3Beer man.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 pm
Burning Godzilla

Persona 3: I've been neglecting Junpei's levels a little. For those who've beaten it--I'm in July right now. Will I be forced to use certain members for later story stuff, or am I free to level up just three of the others?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Escushion wrote:
Persona 3: I've been neglecting Junpei's levels a little. For those who've beaten it--I'm in July right now. Will I be forced to use certain members for later story stuff, or am I free to level up just three of the others?

You're only forced a handful of times but I'd keep your levels balanced as much as possible. Attack types and immunities are absolutely essential in surviving SMT games and you'll want to be able to create the right party at pretty much any time. Just keep running though the highest level of Tartarus you can reach until you hit a barrier over and over again until Shadows start running from you.

Other rule of thumb: The main characters Personas tend to level up at an EXTREMELY slow rate, so unless you're trying to get certain skills or just find certain ones especially usefull (4-Element Lilim/Pale Rider/Sammael/Loki for the win!) it's much more productive to just fuse stronger ones (that's where the S. Link exp bonus comes in)

---Megalemur

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:55 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 362 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next