Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Video Games: Overclocked 
Burning Godzilla

For a while I have been playing RTS games like Rise of Nations and Command and Conquer. I am generally disappointed in one thing about them - their limited engagement scenarios. At least RoN has a 'Conquer the World' option but it's still broken up into small, limited engagements. C&C engagements take about 20-30 minutes. I don't understand why they aren't designed to provide big picture, truly strategic engagements that take hours/days to execute.

Are there any such beasts out there?

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm
Burning Godzilla

Charnelhouse wrote:
For a while I have been playing RTS games like Rise of Nations and Command and Conquer. I am generally disappointed in one thing about them - their limited engagement scenarios. At least RoN has a 'Conquer the World' option but it's still broken up into small, limited engagements. C&C engagements take about 20-30 minutes. I don't understand why they aren't designed to provide big picture, truly strategic engagements that take hours/days to execute.

Are there any such beasts out there?

Try the Total War series. Games in the Total War franchise where a battle lasts under an hour are considered the bad ones.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:05 pm
Burning Godzilla

A few weeks ago I downloaded Clash of Clans for my Droid phone. You have doubtless seen commercials for it, they had a pretty popular Super Bowl spot with Liam Neeson.

It has a very interesting business model. The game itself is free, and there is no ad revenue. The game revolves around building and improving a village, and then attacking other villages. You can join clans along the way. The game itself is engaging and promotes creativity, as you must lay out a village defensive scheme that minimizes enemy success and protects your assets - gold and elixir.

The way they make money is via the 'improvement' process, which gets longer and longer the more advanced your village becomes. In order to speed the process you can spend 'gems,' which you have been allocated in a limited fashion. Once you run out you can buy more. So be competitive at the highest levels, you have to buy enough gems to keep your village defenses maxed out and your army as strong as it can be. Otherwise those who spend more than you do will always have the upper hand.

I have advanced my village to Level 6 and now it takes anywhere from 2-3 days to improve an asset. I don't plan on spending a cent on gems so I will be one of the less competitive players I guess.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 pm
Destoroyah

Yeah, that's a pretty standard free-to-play scheme. They don't lock everything away under a paywall, but count on people being too impatient to wait days to improve something that would cost a few cents if they use cash. In non-competitive games this is an annoyance, in competitive games it's pretty much straight-up pay-to-win and I try to avoid those games at all costs.

My usual dope, Planetside 2, is rife with real-money equipment. For the most part though, you can get every weapon and piece of gear just playing the game, and the starting equipment is pretty competitive as it is. I've spent some cash on it simply because I appreciated this style. Now that Sony Online Entertainment has been bought by an investment firm and renamed Daybreak Games, we'll see if that style of F2P continues, or if I'm going to be nickle-and-dimed by stuff like the "gold bullets" of World of Tanks or the "coolant flushes" of Mechwarrior Online that pretty much require cash payments just to compete at all...

"There's something genuinely depressing in the notion that 50s audiences got mad scientists who wanted to defy, dismantle and transcend the very laws of Time, Space, Life and Death, and we get mad scientists who want to make people crap in each others' mouths." - Amelia on "Human Centipede"

If I had choice of weapons with you, sir, I'd choose grammar! - Halliwell Hobbes, "Lady for a Day"

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Slack One wrote:
Yeah, that's a pretty standard free-to-play scheme. They don't lock everything away under a paywall, but count on people being too impatient to wait days to improve something that would cost a few cents if they use cash. In non-competitive games this is an annoyance, in competitive games it's pretty much straight-up pay-to-win and I try to avoid those games at all costs.

My usual dope, Planetside 2, is rife with real-money equipment. For the most part though, you can get every weapon and piece of gear just playing the game, and the starting equipment is pretty competitive as it is. I've spent some cash on it simply because I appreciated this style. Now that Sony Online Entertainment has been bought by an investment firm and renamed Daybreak Games, we'll see if that style of F2P continues, or if I'm going to be nickle-and-dimed by stuff like the "gold bullets" of World of Tanks or the "coolant flushes" of Mechwarrior Online that pretty much require cash payments just to compete at all...

Fortunately I've discovered the joys of 'farming' (i.e. raiding others' villages to take their resources) so my gameplay experience has improved 10000000%.

This business model is apparently wildly effective, more effective than the 'give them a demo to get them hooked and charge them to unlock the full game' pioneered by idsoftware over 20 years ago. I recently read they are generating revenue to the tune of $8 million per year per employee.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:12 pm
Destoroyah

Yeah, it's effective. I've seen a few people dedicated to not spending a cent on it, and they're talking about some of their build times getting up to two weeks on some items. I couldn't hack it.

It sounds like their trick is to spend their jewels early on getting at least five builders, so there's always something being built/completing and keeping themselves busy with raids and Clan Wars and such. I'm guessing that like Planetside, the farther you get into the game, the better you get at gathering resources/taking them from others. Snowball effect.

"There's something genuinely depressing in the notion that 50s audiences got mad scientists who wanted to defy, dismantle and transcend the very laws of Time, Space, Life and Death, and we get mad scientists who want to make people crap in each others' mouths." - Amelia on "Human Centipede"

If I had choice of weapons with you, sir, I'd choose grammar! - Halliwell Hobbes, "Lady for a Day"

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I'm curious, was the voice acting in Dynasty Warriors always as bad as it is in DW7?

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:19 pm
Burning Godzilla

Mr. Paradox wrote:
I'm curious, was the voice acting in Dynasty Warriors always as bad as it is in DW7?

Oh, you have no idea...

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:20 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Evangelion wrote:
Mr. Paradox wrote:

Oh, you have no idea...

Holy Christ. Xu Zhu sounding like Barney is nothing compared to that.

At least in DW7 they pronounce names correctly...

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:34 pm
Burning Godzilla

They used to pronounce Cao Pi's name exactly how it's spelled...yep.

If it helps, the original Japanese voice track is available for free off of PSN.

Don't worry! I'm as hard as a brick moppet, if moppets were made out of bricks!
---Old Japan Airlines Castle in the Sky dub

When even Gary Busey getting mauled to death by a barn owl is tepid and uninteresting, you've seriously failed as a filmmaker.
---Megalemur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:21 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Slack One wrote:
Yeah, it's effective. I've seen a few people dedicated to not spending a cent on it, and they're talking about some of their build times getting up to two weeks on some items. I couldn't hack it.

It sounds like their trick is to spend their jewels early on getting at least five builders, so there's always something being built/completing and keeping themselves busy with raids and Clan Wars and such. I'm guessing that like Planetside, the farther you get into the game, the better you get at gathering resources/taking them from others. Snowball effect.

I've decided that CoC scratches the itch I complained about at the top of the page. I consider it the best RTS game ever conceived. It is hugely strategic, with tactical matters mixed in from time to time. It takes days, weeks, months to play. It rewards those who plan diligently, assess opponent strengths and weaknesses on the fly, and experiment with battle tactics. It illustrates how high res graphics pale in comparison to quality game design and engaging gameplay experience.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:11 pm
Burning Godzilla

I can't be the only person who hated Final Fantasy IX.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:52 am
Burning Godzilla

Full disclosure: I do not play video games and know nothing about them. However, I happened to run across some videos showing scenes from the detective adventure game L.A. Noire, and I love the way they have recreated Los Angeles in the 1940's.

Warning: Some violent images

Trailer:

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video49784

"Orientation" trailer (basic gameplay, I guess):

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video51161

"Dahlia Killer" (one of the many crimes to be solved within the game):

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video50875

Has anybody played this? Any thoughts?

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm
Profile YIM
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Full disclosure: I do not play video games and know nothing about them. However, I happened to run across some videos showing scenes from the detective adventure game L.A. Noire, and I love the way they have recreated Los Angeles in the 1940's.

Warning: Some violent images

Trailer:

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video49784

"Orientation" trailer (basic gameplay, I guess):

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video51161

"Dahlia Killer" (one of the many crimes to be solved within the game):

https://archive.org/details/g4tv.com-video50875

Has anybody played this? Any thoughts?

I haven't played it, but I've heard almost nothing but good things about it. It's from Rockstar, a company known for putting ridiculous amounts of detail into their games, so it's hardly a surprise they would go for as much authenticity as possible here.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:46 am
Burning Godzilla

I'm going through a few classic NES games now. Last night I played through Kickle Cubicle, a sort of a puzze game where you have to freeze enemies into ice blocks and form bridges to get to magical bags. There are four worlds divided into about 15 or so levels each. The first three worlds have reasonable difficulty, and then the last world veers wildly between easy, frustrating, and "Are you f***ing kidding me?" But the game is still a lot of fun.

My new blog: O Catedral de Kaiju - Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985

Mon May 16, 2016 11:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next