Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Video Games: Overclocked 
Destoroyah

Anyone else playing Planetside 2? The new computer finally allows me to play without watching a virtual slideshow. I'm playing New Conglomerate on Connery as UGoBoy, my handle from the first Planetside. I'm sinking a lot of certification points into my Heavy Assault build. This game is fantastic, but also crazy frustrating. It makes me think of that expanded version of Rock-Paper-Scissors that included dynamite, dragon, fire, etc. It seems that no matter what equipment is strapped to my back, the next thing I meet will be expressly outfitted to counter it, or simply be impervious to my crafty ways. For some reason, the game designers think that you shouldn't be able to counter a tank with a crossbow. Mystifying.

If you would *like* to try the game, hit me up for my referral link. It'll give you at least one light machine gun that you'd normally have to pay/grind heavily for and an XP booster. For one friend it also netted him some bonus Station Cash, but I don't know why that happened, exactly.

"There's something genuinely depressing in the notion that 50s audiences got mad scientists who wanted to defy, dismantle and transcend the very laws of Time, Space, Life and Death, and we get mad scientists who want to make people crap in each others' mouths." - Amelia on "Human Centipede"

If I had choice of weapons with you, sir, I'd choose grammar! - Halliwell Hobbes, "Lady for a Day"

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

So I started Dragon Quest VI over on the DS with the goal of "Actually build your levels before going to the First Half Climax Dungeon, you chuckle****". Amazingly, not being five levels behind where you should be makes things much easier.

Doodle God on the Vita appears to have had some elements removed - most notably, the combination that creates Alcohol in any other version doesn't do anything here. This makes everything I ever learned about the Flash version useless.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:55 pm
Burning Godzilla

Today would have been the tenth birthday of City of Heroes, a game that eventually spawned my favorite timesuck of ever, City of Villains.

I'm sure the tenth anniversary event would have involved enemies jumping out of cakes.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie covers April Ghoul's Day at the Riverside Drive-In, located in scenic Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:39 am
Burning Godzilla

I've spent the last... wow, it'll be a month soon... playing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle, a fighting game based on the 25-year-long (and counting) manga of the same name and starring characters from all story arcs.

There's nothing quite like beating down vampires with sunlight-charged soap bubbles before punching a Mafia boss in the face.

"Marlowe's overreacting, Marlowe's taking it wrong, Marlowe's lighting kittens on fire again..." - Marlowe, on how the rest of the board sees him

"What we have here is one hellaciously well-built monument." - Bergerjacques, on the Lincoln Memorial

"Folks, we need a way to get Uwe Boll to inadvertantly touch Tony Jaa's elephant." - Beggar So's Hat speaks truth

Tue May 27, 2014 2:16 pm
Burning Godzilla

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain...a dark, brutal tale of one obsessed man's quest for a fruitless revenge...

...and sheep-theft.

Also, Bloodborne, From Software's new game headed up by Demon / Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki, which transplants the Souls-style action-RPG gameplay to a gothic horror setting along the lines of Solomon Kane & Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
keiichi wrote:
I do like the idea of Mega Man being in Super Smash Brothers, but that's going to be for the 3DS also.

Underwhelming though the rest of the WiiU things might have been, I have to say the Smash Bros. trailer was flawlessly done. They knew all the Mega Man beats to hit, from the initial jump, to equipping Metal Blade as the first showcased weapon, to cutting to the Wily's Fortress theme from Mega Man 2 when things got real. What is this emotion called..."fanboying out"?

Man...and now Pac-Man, whipping out attacks from like every early '80s Namco arcade game. There's really not much further they can go with this, everyone's already on board the frenzied nostalgia train.

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 am
Burning Godzilla

MegaLemur wrote:
MegaLemur wrote:
keiichi wrote:
I do like the idea of Mega Man being in Super Smash Brothers, but that's going to be for the 3DS also.

Underwhelming though the rest of the WiiU things might have been, I have to say the Smash Bros. trailer was flawlessly done. They knew all the Mega Man beats to hit, from the initial jump, to equipping Metal Blade as the first showcased weapon, to cutting to the Wily's Fortress theme from Mega Man 2 when things got real. What is this emotion called..."fanboying out"?

Man...and now Pac-Man, whipping out attacks from like every early '80s Namco arcade game. There's really not much further they can go with this, everyone's already on board the frenzied nostalgia train.

I'm waiting for the inevitable litany of complaints and claims of omission that will accompany its actual release.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 pm
Burning Godzilla

So, yesterday, an interactive demo for a new survival horror game called P.T. was released for the Playstation 4.

Turns out the game was all one big cover up for a much bigger announcement.

There is no game called P.T., and the developer that Sony stated was behind the game doesn't exist. When you reach the end of the demo, you finally find out who is behind the game.

First you see the name Hideo Kojima, the man behind the Metal Gear Solid series.

Then another name pops up, Guillermo Del Toro, who designed the various nightmarish creatures you've been seeing throughout the demo.

Finally, the title "Silent Hills" (yes, Hills) pops up, accompanied by the familiar theme music by Akira Yamaoka.

Yeah, that was awesome.

Here is a video of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtrGF0ZTRc

"By Milk Kitchen (is no dead)" - The last thing one sees while watching "Sawai Miyuu's You".

"Home is definitely where the heart is. Along with some spleen. And a little chunk of liver in the hall." Tagline for Silent Hill 4: The Room

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:01 pm
Burning Godzilla

You know, I was never really interested in Silent Hill before, but holy hell does that sound like a dream team.

EDIT: The fetus-thing in the sink was the first time in years a video game has genuinely frightened me.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:19 am
Burning Godzilla

Speaking of Kojima...he's probably the only game designer who would make a pooping horse into a valid gameplay mechanic.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 pm
Burning Godzilla

Beat Shin Megami Tensei IV today. I'd overleveled so badly for the Beelzebub fight that the final bosses were kind of an anticlimax.

The Neutral ending seems slightly abrupt; I wish they'd spent a little more time establishing what the aftermath of the events would be like. Maybe I'm just biased because I liked Strange Journey so much.

This game gives you a choice as to what you want to carry over into the next New Game Plus. Given that I ended the game at Level 90 with a full spate of powerful gear and items, I chose "New Life" (carry over nothing except what automatically carries over) so that my next playthrough would be an actual challenge.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:16 pm
Mothra

just completed Diddykong Racing on N64

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

And lately I've played...

Dante's Inferno, PS3 - Shameless God of War ripoff or not, I like it. It's got a nice sense of style.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Yep, I'm still terrible at anything involving strategy.

Fallout 3 - I've cleared the main plotline and am now into the Broken Steel content. Plasma Rifles are frickin' broken.

Scribblenauts Unlimited - Moving away from a stage-by-stage structure to open stages with challenges REALLY helped solve the "Create anything!... as long as it's this tiny handful of useful stuff" problem that ruined the original game for me.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:37 pm
Burning Godzilla

Got a WiiU for my birthday, with the sole stated purpose of serving as a vessel for the new Smash Bros. (this, incidentally, is why I finally took the plunge and bought a TV after years without). And it does not disappoint! Duck Hunt is the best, most inexplicable idea for a fighting game character: the dog and the duck teaming up to stick it to the man! Given the way he snickered whenever I missed a shot, I always suspected he was secretly plotting against me...

"Whoever said it doesn't matter if you win or lose must have been sitting in the back of the loser bus covered in human filth" - Duckman
"I've got your spine!" - Kazuma, Scryed
"I am President...Robot President!" - Robot President Ricci

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:18 pm
Burning Godzilla

For most of the game, Fallout 3 was relatively stable.

Then I started doing the Broken Steel content.

Holy hell, the Bethesda Bug Squad just marched in. I think it's frozen up no fewer than six times.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next