Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Reviews of things other than movies 
Burning Godzilla

Teen-Aged Dope Slaves - Back when the funny pages in the newspaper was still the only resource one had for a comic strips, I used to love all the comedy ones and was perfectly bewildered by the continued presence of the "soap opera" strips. I was familiar with the hyper-realistic style and artwork of "Apartment 3-G," "Mary Worth," and "Rex Morgan, MD" but I was never ever so curious about them that I ever read a single storyline. So, therefore, I was never informed about the types of stories they told.

Recently, I bought a compilation of old comics bearing the lurid title of "Teenaged Dope Slaves and Reform School Girls" with the familiar attention grabbing b-movie font and artwork.

Most of them I got what I expected - the old time PSA-style comic pieces warning about the evils of gun love and falling for the wrong guy or the perils of getting hooked on heroin. But the final story - Teen-Aged Dope Slaves - appear to me to be the entire narrative of a series of Rex Morgan, MD strips. What surprised me entirely was the scope of the narrative and characterization. It was all the same sort of clicheed story you always got with these things, but given that it was a weekly strip, the narrative was in no hurry to wrap things up quickly. As a result, you got a depth of characterization on par with some of the best work from Chester Gould's Dick Tracy years.
Overall, even though these characters stayed relatively two-dimensional, it was still a suprisingly detailed and engrossing story. It is all a clicheed story that's been told many times over before and since, but a story well told renders the cliche moot, in my opinion.
I just never, ever figured on such a square as Rex Morgan, MD to have such an intense story involving murder, attempted murder, and an extended bit detailing the horrible drug withdrawal that almost sends this teenager to commit suicide - and his girlfriend and girlfriend's father succeed in making things worse as the kid is standing on a rooftop raving in a psychotic rage.

Thank goodness a cool, detatched personality like Rex Morgan was there to save the day. I recommend people look this up. Me, I'm wondering if somewhere in a Mary Worth, she's taking out some slimy drug dealer and saving a chick from syphillis she contracted from an army guy.

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

A four-headed, non-movie, post-Memorial Day picnic review:

Gigatent 20x10 party tent - For the outdoor party types, a tent is a must. Not only as a means to get out of the sun, but in the Summer party-killing event of a passing shower, it's always useful. So my wife and I went searching for an a) easy to assemble, one (or two piece at most), b) accordian-style, and c) lightweight party tent. And we found success online at Camping Gear Depot with the blue canopy 20x10 Gigatent. My wife and I had a test run set-up earlier in the week (30 minutes with the expecting yelling at each other), but with that practice we got it set up in 15 minutes on the day of the party. 15 minutes to break it down as well. Comes with velcro fasteners for the canopy and tie-downs to keep it on the groud during windy stretches. Fantastic.

Kirkland frozen hamburgers (Costco's in-house brand, if I'm not mistaken [btw - Costco is the equivalent of BJ's or Dave's Club in my neck of the Jersey woods]) - By a decent length, the best low cost, "frozen patty-directly to the grill" burgers I've ever had. I'm a big fan of the frozen Bubba Burgers (both the plain and onion flavor), and this less expensive option got rave reviews from the picnic-goers. Get ready for the usual grease fires in the grill from these fatty burgers, but if you keep the grill closed for the most part, you'll do just fine.

And for post grillin' enjoyment, a Red Stripe Light and a Arturo Fuente Hemmingway cigar - Red Stripe's new light version really doesn't taste much different from the full calorie type, and it still comes in those cool little brown, snub-nosed bottles, so you feel like you're drinking formaldahyde. And the Fuente Hemmingway is a simply fantastic perfecto with a sweet cap and an in the middlin' strength that won't blow the socks off first time smokers while not tasting like lit notebook paper to the seasoned smoker.

It was a good weekend.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Your Mom: Eh. I've had worse.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
For the outdoor party types, a tent is a must. Not only as a means to get out of the sun, but in the Summer party-killing event of a passing shower, it's always useful.

Years and years ago, I went with the old bassist in my band to visit his brother in Frostburg, where he was going to college. (I used to joke at the time that Brian had picked Frostburg State because it was the only school in the University of Maryland system that offered a double major in mass communications and vodka.) The weekend we picked coincided with this big-ass annual event held in some farmer's field (so that it could be legally passed off as a private party), organized by a sort of unofficial fraternity (unofficial because the frat from Animal House could never conceivably hold onto their charter in the 21st century). Let's just say the occasion heroically lived down to every negative stereotype about modern American higher education that you've ever heard of, and then some. The most enjoyable part for me, though, was watching the group of incredibly stoned and drunk people sited about fifty feet from us wrestle with their tent. This wasn't a big or complicated tent, you understand-- certainly nothing deserving of the prefix "giga." It was just a little nylon affair with a roughly cuboid skeleton of metal rods, the sort of thing you'd take on an unambitious camping trip. These fools must have grappled with it for an hour, though, and eventually they did the next best thing to giving up: with the support rods linked precariously together in what was obviously not the right configuration, they sort of draped the nylon body over top the thing. Had there been the slightest puff of wind, the dumbass-rigged tent would surely have fallen right over and blown away like a synthetic-fiber tumbleweed.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
And for post grillin' enjoyment, a Red Stripe Light .... Red Stripe's new light version really doesn't taste much different from the full calorie type, and it still comes in those cool little brown, snub-nosed bottles, so you feel like you're drinking formaldahyde.

I'm glad it tastes the same, but the thought of a light version of the single greatest beer on the planet makes me want to heave.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Bergerjacques wrote:
KO Rob wrote:
And for post grillin' enjoyment, a Red Stripe Light .... Red Stripe's new light version really doesn't taste much different from the full calorie type, and it still comes in those cool little brown, snub-nosed bottles, so you feel like you're drinking formaldahyde.

I'm glad it tastes the same, but the thought of a light version of the single greatest beer on the planet makes me want to heave.

So says the skinny guy! I know switching to light beer might be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for me, but I'm looking for any edge I can get...

And we'll be splitting a sixer of Red Stripe in Evanston next year, Josh. You bring the bottle opener, I'll bring six delicious little bottles of Jamaican formaldahyde...

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Marlowe wrote:
Your Mom: Eh. I've had worse.

And she's had better.

A movie that ends with a giant, vagina-faced martian octopus that eats people with what appears to be its enormous penis does not have to be good in any other way.-Brother Ragnarok speaks the truth.

The (latest version of the)Lair of the Distorted Kiwi. PS, Blogger sucks.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

Huh, I have a lot of stuff that isn't movies! Almost a whole house full!

Leatherman Wave - It's pliers, it's a knife, it's screwdrivers...it's all this and more! The Wave is pretty much in my pocket constantly, unless I'm in some place where one-hand-opening locking blades aren't legal. Very handy tool for little around-the-house stuff. The bit driver is a little too short for some recessed screws, and I think the eyeglass screwdriver is beyond worthless in a bulky plier-based tool, but otherwise it is a pretty nice pocket tool box.

Teva Omnium sandals - I don't ask for much in a shoe. I just want them to fit, to be comfortable, and to last for five years. Is this too much? :P So far, "fit" and "comfort" are high with the Omniums...like a lot of other Teva sandals, you can adjust the fit on the fly a whole lot, which is pretty handy if your feet swell in the heat. And so far, no apparent wear, but I've only had them a month.

High-UV Buff - The wife got me a camouflage Buff while she was in Cali on training. Camo's not my usual favorite, but she said the other available patterns were...ah...a bit too unique for daily wear. So far, this thing is pretty awesome. It's a seamless tube of fabric meant to emulate/replace a bandanna. You can wear it a ton of ways by folding it on itself, like a dust mask, beanie, legion-style neck cover, totally sweet ninja mask, etc. It's been getting a lot of use in the yard, and is holding up well. I might even try and finagle a darker colored one for winter.

"There's something genuinely depressing in the notion that 50s audiences got mad scientists who wanted to defy, dismantle and transcend the very laws of Time, Space, Life and Death, and we get mad scientists who want to make people crap in each others' mouths." - Amelia on "Human Centipede"

If I had choice of weapons with you, sir, I'd choose grammar! - Halliwell Hobbes, "Lady for a Day"

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I imagine if you go out in JUST these three things, Slack, the neighbors start calling 9-1-1 quickly.
"Ninja Hippy is out in the yard again! And he's got the thingy!"

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

You haven't seen what my neighbors wear, then.

"There's something genuinely depressing in the notion that 50s audiences got mad scientists who wanted to defy, dismantle and transcend the very laws of Time, Space, Life and Death, and we get mad scientists who want to make people crap in each others' mouths." - Amelia on "Human Centipede"

If I had choice of weapons with you, sir, I'd choose grammar! - Halliwell Hobbes, "Lady for a Day"

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Paslode Finish Nailer - The angled finish nailer is much preferred because it can reach into the roof line a lot better than my straight finish nailer, but I still adore this compressed gas-powered nail gun for ease of use and so very easy to maintain.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Slack One wrote:
Leatherman Wave - It's pliers, it's a knife, it's screwdrivers...it's all this and more! The Wave is pretty much in my pocket constantly, unless I'm in some place where one-hand-opening locking blades aren't legal.

I'm fairly sure that the blades are at the maximum length for being classified as "tools" rather than "weapons" in most jurisdictions. Still needs to be in checked luggage when flying, though.

I got one a few weeks ago. I'm probably not far from wondering how I ever did without. Naturally, the first thing I did with it was accidentally prick one of my fingers and draw blood.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Life: Granted, this is a guilty pleasure, but I like it. Has no clear arc or overarching theme that I can make out and some episodes are definitely more coherent than others. But the wide range of registers (ranging from tragedy to horror to political drama to zany comedy) plus the quirky cast of "characters" makes for a pretty addictive, albeit exhausting experience. The dream sequences can get a little confusing and weird but of course that's not surprising. The visuals are often deceptively simple -- they can be sometimes be flatout amazing, if occasionally a little too high def for comfort -- but I sometimes suspect that the impressively meticulous appearance of total freedom is just an elaborate illusion. Three stars.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I used to carry a Leatherman Micra on my keychain... but right now I have the world's smallest and wimpiest swiss army knife. The blade is barely over one inch long. Even that has to go in checked bags.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Destoroyah

A Victorinox Classic? Yeah, the blade is inky-winky, but it's still pretty handy for the scissors and nail file. I just bought a box of ten used ones to dress up for Christmas stocking-stuffers, paired up with a tiny little LED flashlight. Last year I gave out a bunch of small folding pliers that fit on a keyring, so this will kind of complete the motif. Either that, or I'm trying to get everyone's keychain weight up to eight pounds like mine.

Sampo - Yeah, the blades are edging up there. The main blade could actually stand to be a touch shorter, imho, as it sometimes makes for awkward utility cutting. Luckily Oklahoma doesn't have a blade length law, just some weird vague laws saying that I can't carry around a bowie knife, dagger, dirk, or...like...a bodkin of something. Of course, they don't bother defining what any of those are legally, just to make it more confusing.

I just replaced the glass in our bathroom mirror yesterday, and the Wave pretty much did everything I need to do without dragging out the toolbox. Pulling staples, prying out old glue, driving in the screws for the new brackets, notching some stuff so the new glass fit...handy little doodad.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next