Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Audio Adrenaline 
Burning Godzilla

The Goddamn Gallows are touring again this summer. There's a ton of dates, and if they come near you, check them out. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. A combination of rockabilly, punk, and bluegrass, and they put on a great performance.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

I've been bingeing on old Laura Nyro songs. What a force of nature that skinny little Jewtalian chick was.

SSW can't stand her, for some reason. Just doesn't like how her voice sounds.

b l e s s e d    a r e    t h e    c h e e s e m a k e r s

Fri May 16, 2014 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
The Goddamn Gallows are touring again this summer. There's a ton of dates, and if they come near you, check them out. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. A combination of rockabilly, punk, and bluegrass, and they put on a great performance.

I'd love to catch these guys live. Do they circulate the country or are they a regional tour?

This is an appalling film. And for some of you, well worth your time - SSM

I like the way this board thinks

Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

It's a national tour, there are dates on their facebook page and web site.

"You, contact the ship! You, rock and roll! I'll go fight some villains and make their blood come out with this!"
-- Phoenix, addressing me and Izzy, dressed in his Iron Man costume wielding an Egyptian dagger bought on Halloween clearance

"1.) Step-Dad stole mummies from the KKK."
-- The first in a list of reasons why HKC's life is crazy

"Bukkake ahoy!"
-- Marlowe

I have some movies.

Tue May 20, 2014 4:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Brother Ragnarok wrote:
It's a national tour, there are dates on their facebook page and web site.

I went to their label's website and HOLY DAMN! There are some awesome groups the "Farmageddon Records" is putting out. I have been acquainted with the thrash side of bluegrass and acoustic music, but not quite so much the black bluegrass before. Highlonesome sounds awesome, too.

Some of the label sounds a lot, to me, like Drunk Armstrong - a local hard playing bar band out of Nashville that occasionally picks up a corner to play until the cops chase them off it.

Tue May 20, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

"The Rip" by Portishead and Dolly Parton's cover of "Stairway to Heaven."

OBS: Now I'm listening to a radio program called Punk Rock in Your PJ's, which features songs like "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?" and "Beat on the Brat."

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Burning Godzilla

Steve Roach's "Dreamtime Return." I am against a deadline for a magazine article and it does not go well so far.

I overdid the interviewing, I think..... :cry:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Same as I've been for a couple of months now. I still don't really get how this got started but I'm just mainlining the Red Elvises morning, noon and night. On the way over here today I listened to "Monsters from Mars" (it was a short drive).

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

I just got a copy of the CD "Charlemagne: The Omens of Death" by Christopher Lee and various heavy metal musicians. I listened to a couple of tracks on the way to work. It rocks. Lee has to be the coolest ninety-year-old in the world.

Dark tears for is alabaster muse lost forever into the unforgiving jade daggers of the night. Her slim form no longer to touch his burning lips, her blood like the thorny rose no longer his, O Death! O Oblivion! Why havent you come! I wait in my garden of shadows for thee! -- Juniper releases her inner Goth.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:05 pm
Burning Godzilla

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
I just got a copy of the CD "Charlemagne: The Omens of Death" by Christopher Lee and various heavy metal musicians. I listened to a couple of tracks on the way to work. It rocks. Lee has to be the coolest ninety-year-old in the world.

I really must check that out. :shock:

Sample piscatorial love at Cliffie's Notes! Now in blog form for the greater good of the Fish Conspiracy!

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Watched Guy Richie's RocknRolla over the weekend, and was reminded of the great Sonic's cover of the Richard Berry garage rock classic, "Have Love Will Travel". Such a hard-edged sound for a band from 1965. Definitely check out their stuff if you like punk, as it's got that kind of urgency to it.

"I've always imagined you as Tom Servo, in my head." - Ed the IX paying me one helluva nice (if unintended) compliment.

"Hoots, Sister Morag. I can no' find pleasure in haggis anymore." - Beggar So's Hat

"I'm back, and I'm more evil than before! HAW HAW HEE!" - Mr. Mind, feelin' it

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Drinking With Jesus. Red Elvises.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah. 8)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

Peter Case is still great. He was great in the seventies in the Nerves and the Plimsouls, he was great in the eighties as a newly minted folkie, and he was great last weekend in a solo performance at an upscale bar in Sonoma. He may physically be kind of a wreck nowadays, but that doesn't even matter.

I'm still constantly scrounging around for videos of other shows of his, both new and ancient.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Burning Godzilla

KO Rob wrote:
Watched Guy Richie's RocknRolla over the weekend, and was reminded of the great Sonic's cover of the Richard Berry garage rock classic, "Have Love Will Travel". Such a hard-edged sound for a band from 1965. Definitely check out their stuff if you like punk, as it's got that kind of urgency to it.

I'm a big fan of the Sonics. Their drummer seemed to be trying to destroy his kit, and possibly the Earth's crust.

The Fiasco Brothers Watch a Movie watch Vampyr and talk about dream logic in a silent German film about a vampyr.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 am
Burning Godzilla

One of the first bands to break out of the sixties psychedelic scene in San Francisco was The Sopwith Camel. They're still together. It's been intermittent and occasional, but the same guys have now been playing together for fifty years! There's been a lineup change or two, but at this particular show, the original guys who'd dropped out were present as guests. One of them, "Truckaway" Sievers, did a few of his own songs solo in the middle of the set. Despite spending decades away from the music business, he's the best songwriter of the bunch.

The show was as sixties as you could hope. Long jams with flute and sitar, tamborines and the smell of weed, and a light show. Oh man, a light show in the hands of someone who's mastered the form and has two assistants to work the optical turntables is something you should see at least once. And the venue was in Berkeley.

Three of us went... Not because we needed some sixties-ness, but because Nandi Devam (the Artist Formerly Known as Terry MacNeil) is a friend of ours. He's one of the coolest guys I know. He's half of the band's core duo with frontman Peter Kraemer, who is kind of a doofus. Despite his musical importance, Nandi often seemed to be keeping himself as invisible and inaudible as he could get away with. So that was a bit frustrating. But we had fun, and I got a psychedelic poster that was made specifically for this show, with autographs.

Sun May 24, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next